Chapter 8: Day 1

Ayano and her group were sleeping in their beds. Suddenly, an extremely loud trumpet could be heard throughout the entire barracks. Everyone was startled awake. Shimoko fell from her bed. "What happened," Shimoko yelled, slowly crawling up to feet. Ayano slowly climbed out of bed. "Dont worry Shimoko. It's just the beginning of the day," Ayano said.

Then, the voice of their drill Sargent pierced throughout the hallway. "Listen up! Get dressed in your uniforms, grab your weapons and then head down to the mess hall for breakfast," Rui yelled. "This is so ridiculous," Momo said, rolling her eyes. Shinobu stood in the middle of the room. "Is there anytime that you're not complaining," She asked Momo.

Ayano opened the door. "C'mon girls. That's enough arguing for now. Let's get ready for the day," Ayano said. "I wonder what's for breakfast," Michiru said, racing past Ayano with a smile on her face. Shinobu crossed her arms and slowly shook her head. "That girl can't be all there. I've never seen someone so excited about breakfast," she said. "That's what I thought when I first met her. Although, she wasn't excited for breakfast, rather it was about enlisting," Ayano said.

Ayano and the group made their way to the shower/changing room. As Ayano reached for the door handle, the door flew open, almost hitting Ayano in the face. Michiru popped out in her uniform and ran down the hallway back to their barrack. "I'll see you girls in the mess hall. I'll save you a spot," Michiru yelled as she rounded a corner.

The girls shook their heads in unison. They entered the room and went to their respective lockers, which for some reason now, has their names on it. "Huh, that's a little strange but, also very helpful," Ayano thought. Ayano got undressed and then opened her locker. She quickly but carefully folded her nightwear and then got dressed in her uniform. Afterwards, she put away her nightwear and locked her locker.

She exited the room with Momo. "Where's Shinobu, Shimoko, and Koko," Ayano asked. "They're still changing. Let's go and get our weapons. I'm hungry," Momo said. Ayano and Momo walked back to their barrack and grabbed their weapons. "So, you ready," Ayano asked. "Of course I am. I want to get today over with. I can already tell that it's going to be hell," Momo said while fixing her hair. Ayano placed her revolver in her holster and her rifle over her shoulder. The two girls then left their barrack and headed to the mess hall. On their way, they past Shinobu, Shimoko, and Koko who were running to the barrack.

"You might want to hurry up. You don't want to miss breakfast," Momo said. "We know," Koko said. Ayano turned her head to face Momo. "Was that necessary," Ayano asked. "Of course it was," Momo said. Ayano faced forward again. "I don't think I'll ever fully understand you," Ayano said. "The less things you know about me, the better," Momo said.

Ayano and Momo entered the mess hall with Shinobu, Shimoko, and Koko behind, struggling to catch their breath. "Okay girls. Let's get our food and find Michiru," Ayano said. The girls got in line and got their food. "Girls! Over here," Michiru said while waving her hand. Ayano and the girls sat down with Michiru. "So, this is what they serve for breakfast? A single piece of toast with an egg, one piece of sausage and a glass of Ancient Six," Momo said.

"Be lucky that we're eating anything. We are at war. Food is somewhat scarce," Shinobu said. Ayano took a swig of the black and silver liquid. She felt a sudden surge of energy. "The drink isn't bad. It has a lot of electrolytes. The only real downside is the somewhat sour taste," Ayano said. Momo grabbed her bottle of Ancient Six. "Whatever," she said.

Momo took a huge swig of the drink. Her face immediately scrunched up. A hig pitched squeal could be heard from her as she pounded her face on the table. Shinobu could barely hold her laughter. Momo was finally able to swallow the drink in her mouth. "Holy fucking shit that's sour," Momo said. "I tried to warn you," Ayano said.