Chapter 6

srry school has been killing me

  Tsukasa stared off into space for god knows how long. The clock was ticking, and he was once again stuck in his pre-cal class. Since listening to the teacher is something he never does, he decided to start mindlessly looking around the class. Whiles glancing around, he made eye contact with Rui. The purple haired boy quickly turned his head away, his face looked kind of strange. His face was red, was he sick? Tsukasa focused attention back to his paper in front of him. Was he going to do his notes? Not at all. He started doodling over the paper, drawing little things that came to mind. He drew Emu and Nene holding hands, because he thought they were such a cute couple. He drew Saki too; he adored his sister so much. He drew small stars everywhere, but then his brain went into auto pilot. When he finally took a good look at his paper, he saw little doodles of Rui on the page. HAH? Not funny, brain!! He immediately erased the doodles of Rui and huffed, why him of all people? When the lunch bell rang, he packed up his things and walked out of the class. But, before he could get very far, he felt a tap on his shoulder.

"Tenma, do you want to have lunch with me?"

Fun. He turned around and met Rui's gaze, "Why would I want to do that? Are you just saying that because you're bored and want to try and annoy me again?" Rui shook his head, "No, I just wanted to have lunch with you. Is that a bad thing?"

"Well, coming for you it sounds like it."

"Why is that?"

"Last time we had lunch together? Remember that?"

"I... you have a point, but please? I won't try to on purpose piss you off for the most part."

Tsukasa sighed, "I shouldn't be saying this, but fine."

Rui had a smile as he finally got his desired reply. Well, the attitude wasn't wanted, but the fact he agreed was all that mattered. Rui hummed softly as they walked up the stairs back to the rooftop. As if it were muscle memory, without a word of seating, they sat down in the spots they had last occupied during their lunch. There was a bit of tension, despite Rui being the one to ask Tsukasa, he also seemed a little awkward. He cleared his throat and began to speak.

"So-"

"Why did you actually ask me to come have lunch with you?" Tsukasa interrupted him. His gaze was fully focused on Rui, curiosity in his eyes.

Rui was caught a bit off guard by the sudden bluntness of the question, "Do I need a reason?"

"I mean, one minute you say you hate me, but now you're asking me to have lunch with you. Doesn't that seem a little odd?"

"Well..." Rui sighed. "It's really not that deep. I just wanted to get to know you better, that's all."

"Why is that?"

"I guess I just thought you were kinda cu-" Rui stopped himself. Admitting that would be incredibly embarrassing, he doesn't know why he almost let that slip. "Why do you have so many questions?"

"Nah nah, what was that last part?"

"What last part?"

"You know what I mean."

Rui started to get nervous, "No... I don't..."

Tsukasa decided to go... nuclear. He picked up a piece of broccoli with his chop sticks and waved it all up in Rui's face. "The vegetable torture won't end until you tell me!" Needless to say, Rui was disgusted. The gross piece of green was waving in his face, almost making him gag.

"I thought you were kinda cute! That's what I said! Now put away that horrid piece of grossness!"

Tsukasa was stunned. Of course, he moved away the broccoli, but... cute? Rui's words echo'd in his head... 'cute.' No! He wasn't supposed to be cute! He's supposed to be cool! Tsukasa crossed his arms with a huff, "I'm not cute! I'm cool! There's a very very big difference!" He pretty much just completely glazed over the fact that Rui complimented him. And yet, the way he complained made him look a little cuter.