Chapter 68 - Relatives and Friends

Ke Mei Li acted as she did not perceive Zhang Hui Niang's anger, and she cried even harder. "Dasao*, I'm kneeling for you. I'm begging you and Older Brother, please don't be angry with me and Da Li." As she said this, Ke Mei Li knelt in front of the gate to the courtyard and refused to get up no matter how Zhang Hui Niang tried to pull her up. "Dasao, if you don't forgive me, I won't get up."

[*T/N: 大嫂 dasao can mean "older brother's wife," "sister-in-law," or "elder sister" as a respectful appellation for an older married woman]

Lin Da Li also knelt down. More and more villagers came over to watch the show.

Lin Da Zhuang came out and looked at the spectacle right outside of his front door. "All of you come in, ba..."

Ke Mei Li and Lin Da Li knelt down again after entering the house, and Ke Mei Li started to howl again. "Dage, Dasao! Please forgive us. Back then, we were blinded by money..."

"Dage, I know that I am wrong. I know that I was exempted from the family rules and discipline. You guys must be angry in your hearts. Dage, how about you hit me? If beating me will disperse your anger, then beat me fiercely, ba..."

Lin Da Li took out the wooden stick that he had brought with him. He hit himself hard on the head twice and then handed the wooden stick over to Lin Da Zhuang.

Lin Da Zhuang sighed as he watched the blood dripping from his brother's forehead. "Why are you doing this...?"

Off to one side, Ke Mei Li also cried, "Our family's Chun Er is having a hard time. Although things look glamorous on the outside, she is still a chongxi* bride. Her days are... And our family doesn't have much money, and Chun Er doesn't have any maternal brothers to rely on..."

[*T/N: chongxi bride - a bride taken into the family in hopes of bringing in good luck, because a wedding is considered an auspicious event. In this case, the Wang family had Chun Er marry into the family in hopes of curing their son who was sick in bed.]

"Dage, lately I have been thinking a lot about the bitter days we used to have. At that time, our parents passed away, and I was still young. It was dage who raised me, ah... For my sake, dage has suffered a lot. I was really seduced by the devil, I really shouldn't have..." Lin Da Li cried as he spoke.

Lin Da Zhuang listened to his younger brother's, Lin Da Li's, words and he could not help feeling somewhat emotional as he reminisced about the past.

"Dage, in the end we are brothers born from the same parents. Even if our parents are buried underground, they certainly wouldn't want to see us brothers at odds with each other, ah..." Lin Da Li saw Lin Da Zhuang softening somewhat and knelt down again. "Dage, for the sake of our parents, forgive me this one time, ba."

Lin Da Zhuang didn't know what to do. He glanced at Zhang Hui Niang and saw that she was maintaining her silence. He sighed, "The two of you, get up first."

Zhang Hui Niang knew in her heart that even though Lin Da Zhuang said that he would cut off relations with Lin Da Li, he still cared about familial affection, and he still cared for the younger brother that he had raised.

"Get up quickly, Dage has forgiven us..." In response to Lin Da Zhuang's words, Ke Mei Li immediately put away her crying face and showed a smiling expression. "Dage, Dasao, about the matter before, we were really wrong. Fortunately, your family's Jia Bao, ah, has a good home in the palace. In the future when you have glory, splendor, wealth, and rank, you must not forget about us, ah..."