Chapter 4

"Mandy, I need to see you—like now. Can you get out for a couple of hours? Shit has just gotten fucking real at my house."

I heard Mandy gasp. "What is it? Is it the new man your mother's got?

He's not another douche bag, is he? Please tell me he didn't try it on?"

I groaned. If only she knew.

"No, it's not like that. They've just left, and now I'm stuck in my room.

She's getting fucking married to him, Mandy. They're moving in next week."

"Noooo," she shouted.

"Oh, hell yes! But that's not the worst of it, Mandy. I feel like I'm going to scream if I don't get out of this house soon." I was sure she heard my panic.

"Okay. Okay. Calm down. I'll meet you at All's Well in twenty."

She hung up on me, and I quickly raced to get ready. I dragged a brush through my hair, replaced my elegant skirt with the one I was previously wearing, and grabbed my bag.

I was just heading out the door when my mother's piercing voice shouted, "Going out again?"

I sighed at the door and turned around. "Yes. Is there a problem?"

She shook her head. "No. Just don't be falling in drunk once Mason and Hero move in. I can't let them see how much of a lush I've brought up."

I smiled sweetly, but my voice was laced with hatred. "Sure thing, Mum."

I shut the door behind me and made my way toward the gate. I planned to hail a taxi once I got myself on the main roads. I wasn't going to wait for one. Not with my mother still in the house. I realized that was the wrong thing to do as soon as I shut the gate behind me.

"Josephine? Josephine, is that you?"

I cringed. Of course it would be me, Asshole. You've been following me and making my life a misery!

I turned to see Robert. He was someone I dated a couple of times a few weeks back. After the second date, though, he started talking about what

Our kids would look like once we were married. That was enough for me to fake an illness and rush back home.

"I haven't seen you in a while." He ran his fingers through his longish black hair. He looked every bit the bad boy, which was what attracted me to him in the first place. I just didn't realize what a creep he would turn out to be. He was only four years older than I, tall, but a little too skinny for my taste. I liked my men with a bit of meat on them.

Despite my misgivings, I went on a date with him because I thought he was cute. That was so the wrong thing to do.

"Robert, you saw me two days ago when I was out shopping with my friend."

He chuckled. "I know. I guess it just seems like longer."

I groaned. "Robert, why are you here?"

Robert moved a little closer and smiled. "I was just passing through when you emerged. Isn't that a coincidence?"

I looked at him in disbelief. "Yes. Isn't it just?"

He roamed his eyes over me. "Going out somewhere nice?"

I sighed. "I'm just on my way to meet a friend."

His eyes lit up. "Do you want some company?"

I shook my head. "No, thanks. This is a girlies night out."

He looked a little disappointed, but smiled. "Okay. How are you getting there? Do you want me to give you a lift?" He pointed to his car further up the street, and it was then that I knew for certain that his bullshit of "just passing through" was definitely bullshit.