Chapter 7

The picture is Carolynn.

The next few weeks until the Eliminations happen, as they're calling them now, pass in a similar way as the first few weeks. I fight Jonathan three more times and each time is a little longer than the last. He always wins, but I think I'll beat him once or twice after the break. Laeva is excelling in combat, the stupid stuff they're teaching us that I barely listen to, and boys. Her and Dimitri are getting closer. I noticed two weeks before anyone else even thought about it. It just means I'm the most perceptive. Obviously. I've been trained and practiced in the evil art since I was ten. Dimitri asks her out in the last week before break and she says yes, so now they're a thing. I notice Jonathan looking at them more than is possibly normal. He also looks at me more than is definitely normal. I'm afraid if he asked me out, I'd have to say yes. He does seem to like me. If this had been my only life, I'd probably like him back. But it's not. I am agent 36, employee of the Office. I prefer assassin or murderess but the contract I signed when I technically graduated said I'm an employee.

I haven't been contacted by HK or anyone at the Office at all, but that doesn't worry me. It's very hard and dangerous to do.

I think I've gotten completely used to all the bright colors and light everywhere. It sickens me that I could actually get used to it, but it's one less distraction. The food still isn't that great. I can barely pretend to like it.

I miss the Office. It's been over a month since I've hurt anyone without a limit. The combat training helps my longing for violence, but does nothing to compensate for my withdrawl. I might even go crazy. If I stayed at this long enough, I would. I hope I can do something interesting during the break. It's so close. It's only a week long, so it won't provide much relief.

***

"Welcome to the Eliminations," a way-too-happy lady dressed in red exclaims. She stands on a raised platform in the cafeteria, which has been converted into an auditorium. The tables are moved against the walls and the chairs are in rows. "I'm going to say the names of those eliminated. As I say your name, you may exit the room to pack your belongings. When everyone leaves today for the break, you will not be returing for the second set of training. We thank you for your time here and hope you will use what you have learned for the good of others." She starts naming names from a paper in her hand. My mind glazes through them, only listening for key ones, ones that belong to people I've had my eyes on. None of the names called belong to these people and I'm happy with myself for predicting their outcomes. Half of the people in the room leave. Jonathan, Chase, Dimitri, Laeva, Drakey, Carolynn, and I are not on the list. The boy that Laeva fought on the first day isn't either. "Those of you remaining, congratulations for completing the first set of training. You will remain in your rooms and may take home as much or as little as you want. None of your posessions will be disturbed until you return. You are all one step closer to becoming agents of the Agency and we congratulate you all. Please return on Sunday, June sixth. You may all go."

We stand and start to walk out.

"We made it, guys!" Drakey squeals.

"Not really. Just the first third. The rest is probably going to be harder," Laeva objects.

"But we made it," Carolynn insists.

"Not yet." Laeva rolls her eyes. We walk down the hall and enter our room. I kneel and pull my suitcases out from under my bed. I start putting my things inside, not bothering to have any order in it.

"Sarra! You need to organize!" Carolynn starts scooping my clothes out of the bag.

"Hey!" I shove her lightly away.