♣️𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟔♥️ | 𝐓𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐆𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐬

⚠️TW⚠️: VERY graphic mention of suicide.

(I'm not used to put TW at the beginning of the chapter but here I think it's important)

The light dazzles you when you enter the living room. The shutters are open, leaving the Tokyo skyline visible in the sunlight. From the intensity of the rays, you guess it must be around ten o'clock in the morning.

You ended up falling asleep after hours of staring at the wall in the dark of the bedroom. When you woke up, Mira was gone. You haven't exchanged a word since the day before. A kind of coldness has settled between you. But neither of you knows how to break it.

Unsurprisingly, the salon is not empty at this time of day. You recognize a few familiar faces, but none of them pay attention. This is where you sees her, isolated from the others. Oyuki.

Her glasses fall on the tip of her nose, but she doesn't seem to care. A cup of tea still steams between her fingers. Her gaze is lost in the vagueness and she does not seem to notice you, approach.

You sit quietly next to her, like weeks ago, the day after the murder. When still under the influence of drugs, your ideas were not clear. When you had to call her brother's fiancée to pick her up.

A woman with blue strands...

The pieces of the puzzle are slowly coming together in your head. The memories are fuzzy, but your intuition connects the rest.

"She recognized me."

A smile forms on Oyuki's lips as she places her cup on the table in front of her. She is talking to you, yet her gaze is on a woman you are beginning to know.

Mei-Mei.

"Do you work for her?"

She nods. "I'm on her team. I am a citizen of Borderland, like her.

You should probably be surprised, but your instincts knew it. You've never seen Oyuki among the supervisors, and it's the only level below citizen who is allowed to reside in the control tower.

She barely looks at you, returning her attention to her cup of tea. But you can't take your eyes off her. Something had change. Under the sunlight, you finally realize how much she has grown. The gleam in her eyes is no longer childish. As if a lifetime had passed in a handful of weeks.

"We arrived before you."

She finally turns her head to you as you realize the meaning of her words.

"I was a player once."

Your heart skips a beat. A million questions are swirling around in your head, but you don't know which one would be relevant to ask. You purse your lips to force yourself to remain silent and not interrupt her.

"Each of us was a player before. We chose to stay."

Oyuki avoids your gaze keeping it fixed on the cup in front of her. Your heart is pounding in your ribcage as you begin to understand.