Chapter 5

“We should use my car since we are all heading to the same destination. I’ll drop you back here when we are done.” Broody said

“That isn’t convenient for us.” Duke replied. “Nina is under my protection and we don’t know where you are taking us. We’ll follow you.” Duke took Nina’s arm and directed her towards their car, opening the passenger door for her to get in.

Samson got into Broody’s car after staring at the newcomers for several heartbeats. Once Duke was in the driver’s seat, Nina turned to him, “Do you not trust them?”

“Something about the nerd is off. He could have given us all the details necessary to solve the matter. Instead, he is taking us to some unknown location to do God knows what.” He took a long breath. Nina waited patiently to see if he’d say more.

“Have you noticed that he is not surprised by the professor’s death? He’s sad, but not surprised.  Another thing, he never took out his phone to check anything. Isn’t that weird? We need to call the counsel on the way just in case something happens.” Duke turned on the car and followed Broody, who was almost out of sight.

Duke was feeling nervous about going with strangers to an unknown location. Moreover, he and Nina were tired from their travels. They needed to rest and he needed to see what the team back home found about the professor and the young millionaire, Mr. Broody Logan.

Nina placed a call to the counsel and a young assistant told them to wait a minute to be connected.

“Hello Nina, how was your travel?” Madam Chair asked. “The whole counsel is here, we were in the middle of planning for some magical world matters.”

The Magical World Counsel is the governing body of all magical creatures. It ensured that no humans are harmed through magic, and keeps all magical creatures protected. In a way, the Magical World Counsel is like a government with dozens of departments and local chapters.

All wizards, warlocks and magical creatures are registered in the counsel since birth. They could reach out to the nearest counsel in case of any trouble. Nina and Duke were part of the East region governing body which was in charge of country chapters on the eastern side of the world.

Nina had been asked on several occasions to join the East African governing body because of her unique skills. She turned down the offer every year and the next year the offer was always made.

“The journey was okay, but we are yet to rest since our arrival. We are following Mr. Broody Logan who is connected to the murder of Jefferson Williams. Duke has some reservations about Mr. Logan. He wanted to keep you guys updated in case we got into trouble.” Nina responded.

“We have reached out to the regional counsel over there. They claim to have been keenly following the investigation of a detective known as Samson Tallman. However, they will send a representative to discuss how they can assist you.”  Madam Chair said.

“Madam Chair, is there any reason why a piece of land would cause so much death? There doesn’t seem to be anything special about the parcel except that it’s bare.” Duke joined the conversation.

“I was hoping Nina’s visions would give us an idea into what we should look at. Nina, have you gotten anything clear about your last calling? It is the reasons you flew out there” The Chair enquired.

“Nothing yet. You know how it is, everything will reveal itself in due time. Are you sure there isn’t anything magical about Mr.Logan?”

“He appears to be normal. The gift must have skipped him. We have no report of him ever possessing magic”

“We have to go. I think we’ve reached our location. We’ll contact you later.” Duke said as they waited for an electronic gate to open. There was a security guard at the gate and he was asking for credentials from the passengers in the first car.

Broody had taken them into the country and the road to their destination was in the middle of a thick forest. After the guard checked Nina’s and Duke’s passports, the gate was opened.

They drove for about five minutes before they came to a clearing with a stone mansion whose design looked half a century old. It was well kept and the compound had manicured plants. It looked like the entrance to a country club where the rich get away from technology.

A butler was standing at the steps waiting for them when the cars come to a stop at the front steps.