Chapter 16

Nina woke up due to the tapping on her shoulder and looked up to find Duke standing next to her bed. She wasn't sure how long she had slept, but she felt really good.

"Good morning, Nina," Duke said. "We have a visitor, and you'll be interested to meet him." Duke was curious to see what Nina would read from Felix. He was hoping that she would see if he was a magical creature to help understand why the local chapter sent him.

Nina felt a bit groggy but got up and headed to the bathroom to take a shower. She remembered her dream with Lulu once again last night. Lulu told her the spiritual realm was unable to pinpoint where Cynthia was, but a little stint on the empty land actually helped them realize that she was still in Canada, somewhere near Muir.

Nina felt like washing her locks that morning, which took over an hour before she got out of the shower. She donned her usual outfit: a black vest, black trousers, navy blue sneakers, and a navy blue kimono with decorative edges. She put on a little makeup, some thick lipstick, some eye pencil, and a little mascara. She looked at herself one last time in the mirror before she walked out of the bedroom.

Duke had ordered some bacon and eggs for her for breakfast, which were waiting for her at the dining table. "I guess this is going to be breakfast and lunch," Nina thought.

She looked over to where Duke was seated, and across from him was a beautiful blonde man. He had a sparkle around him that usually indicated a fairy, but in his case, he looked like he had some extra sparkle around him. There was no better way for Nina to explain the halo she saw around the blonde man.

"You must be Felix from the local chapter. I’m Nina, and I’m glad to make your acquaintance. Your glow looks a little different from what I’m used to. I can tell that you’re a fairy, but I’ve never seen anything like this before. Do all fairies have an aura that looks like yours, or is it just you alone?" Nina said.

"You can see my aura as a magical creature?" Felix asked.

"Yes, for you I can see your aura as a fairy. Some people I can feel their magic, some people I can see the magic. I’m not quite sure how it works. Why does your aura have extra sparkles?" Nina asked.

Felix was a little bit surprised that she could see his actual magical aura. The only people who were able to see his aura were fairy folk and very powerful ones at that.

"My elders say that I add an extra spark in communication and make it easier. I’m your new liaison, and I hope that we can work together on this matter and hopefully in the future," Felix replied.

"By the way, Duke, I met Lulu last night again. She's adamant about finding Cynthia, and we need to find some actionable intel today. We’ve been here for some time and we haven't made any actual progress. Is there any way we can break through the magical barrier on that land? Did you find any powerful locals that we can partner with for that?" Nina said.

"I understand what you mean," Duke replied. "Everyone is a little uneasy about the way there is no solution to this thing, and we have no good leads. We are meeting with Brody and Aunt Lucy in the afternoon, so maybe then we will come up with a better plan. I’m hoping someone has discovered something different."

"What about you, Felix?" Nina inquired. "Is there a way that you can help us see what is hidden behind that land?"

"I will ask around," Felix replied. "I was wondering whether you can take me to that piece of land after you've eaten, and later we will go to the meeting together?"

"That sounds good," Duke said. "We could really use another person’s opinion on this."

Duke drove Nina and Felix to the abandoned land in silence. Nina was busy admiring the landscape while Felix was deep in his thoughts. He probably was wondering what mistake landed him into this situation with Nina and Duke. The car slowed down as they approached the place they were going.

Before they could reach it, though, Nina started having a seizure. Duke stopped the car and looked at the passenger seat to see Nina unconscious. He turned to the back seat to try and get help from Felix and found him unconscious too. "This is weird," Duke thought to himself. "What just happened? They were awake a minute ago."

He adjusted his seat and headed to the hospital to make sure both of them were OK. After a few meters, Nina started screaming uncontrollably while still unconscious. It took a minute or so before Felix followed suit. Duke kept on driving, but Nina started being pulled back to her seat by some force that was keeping her from leaving. In no time, she was at the back of the car in the boot while still screaming.

Duke was confused but knew the deal with things that were not visible to the human eye, and it didn't mean there weren’t other forces at play. He tried to reverse the car to the point where Nina started screaming.

Once both of them stopped screaming, he got out of the car and made a call to the local chapter. He explained what just happened in a few sentences and asked for help. Immediately after hanging up the phone, he called Brody and explained to him what happened.