Five

What Vyykium said remained echoing in Noaah's head for the rest of the day.

     A siren? Really? I'm not a siren. No way. ...just a guy with freakish strength...and freakish speed. Not a siren, Noaah thought to himself.

     Noaah exhaled as he leaned his head against the bars of his cell. Vyykium's wrong. He doesn't know me.

     Noaah drummed his fingers against the bottom of the cell, trying to push the thoughts of sirens out of his head.

     His violet gaze wandered over to Fade who was trying to talk to Whisper.

      He doesn't know... Whisper doesn't know Fade is his mother, Noaah thought to himself. He may never know.

      "Fade?" Whisper began.

      "Hmm... Yes?" Fade responded to the young boy.

      "Why are you teaching me this stuff?" Whisper questioned. The 'stuff' in question being basic survival skills. "Why teach me any of this?"

       "Because I need to," Fade insisted.

        Whisper shook his head. "No... You don't owe me anything. You don't need-"

       Fade cut him off. "Yes, I do need to teach you these things. Trust me."

         Whisper inhaled deeply.

          "Snowy!" called a Devine entering the room. He called the name so loudly that even Fade jumped a little when it was said.

        Noaah's gaze cruised over to the Devine.
        "Scales!" yelled the Devine.

        Scales had been the nickname that Azeline had earned.

        Azeline looked over, a twinkle in her eyes. "Yes?"

        How does she stay so peppy while being here?, Noaah questioned.

        A few guards unlocked Noaah and Azeline's cells after being commanded to by the lead Devine guard.

        Noaah and Azeline exchanged glances with each other before Noaah spoke up.

       "Excuse me? Why did you free both of us?"

       Azeline's eyes grew wide. "Rarguun isn't making us fight each other, is he?"

        The lead Devine laughed. "No. No. He's not."

        Noaah raised a snow white eyebrow. "Then why are we both needed?"

       "Duel battle..." The lead Devine began.

        "So we're working together to fight others, then?" Azeline queried.

         The only response she got was a grunt.

         "Time to go," one guard said, ushering Noaah and Azeline toward the corridor.

         Whisper had pressed his face against the cell's bars. "Good luck! Don't die!"

        Noaah and Azeline silently passed through the corridors with the guards behind them, making sure they didn't try to run away.

        When the two finally reached the arena, the Devines were already screaming with delight.

       "Never have we done this before!" Rarguun began shouting. "But, now, it's finally time!"

      The cheering got louder.