CHAPTER 4- "The Dixons"

[4/17/1998]

[9:30 AM]

[Mandela County, Wisconsin]

---------------------------------------

Maybelle has been friends with The Flores' ever since they moved into the neighborhood. She cared for them a lot and also loved their kids like they were her own, and sometimes on the weekends she spent going over to their house with her son, Lester, gossiping with them while Lester played with their kids.

Maybelle loved what she had with the family and wouldn't change it for the world!

Recently however,  Maybelle has been noticing something off about the family's daughter; Daniella...

For the last few weeks, every time Maybelle and Lester came over, she'd lock herself in her room and refuse to come out or even say a word. That or she would scream as soon as she saw the duo and run up to her room...

It hurt Maybelle a lot to see Daniella doing this and she honestly didn't know what she and her son did wrong.

But now she's had enough.

So one day after Lester went upstairs to play with David was when Maybelle put her plan into action.

"I'm sorry Barb, but may I be excused for a few minutes?" Maybelle asked Barbara as she tended to a teapot brewing on the stove. Barbara smiled. "Of course you can! We'll call you when the tea is ready!" She said.

Maybelle thanked her and went upstairs to Daniella's room. Where she found her sitting in the middle of her bedroom floor with a hairbrush in one hand and a doll that looked scarily similar to Saint Gabriel sitting in between her knees, humming a tune and silently brushing the doll's pale blond hair. Seemingly too occupied to notice Maybelle.

But what bothered Maybelle the most was that upon entering the room, she could sense an unpleasant presence within the room...

"Dani?" Maybelle said as she looked at Daniella concerned. To which Daniella continued humming as she gently ran the hairbrush through the doll's hair, still not saying a word.

"Daniella...Is everything ok?" She asked in a softer tone of voice. Finally, Daniella momentarily paused what she was doing and looked at Maybelle with a cliff-faced expression. A wave of dread and paranoia washed over her as the feeling of a pair of eyes fixating on her nipped at her neck. "May I ask why you're here?" Daniella asked.

"I-I'm sorry, pardon? I wasn't paying attention..." Maybelle said, her eyes occasionally darting around the room due to the fear that it wasn't just the two of them in the room..

"Why are you here?" Daniella asked again.

Maybelle bit her lip. "I just wanted to know how you were doing. You know, since I've noticed a lot of the things you were doing and I honestly feel worried for you..." She said as she regained her composure.

"I'm doing quite well..." Daniella said monotonously as she resumed brushing the doll's hair, which Maybelle couldn't help but stare at the doll curiously.

"That's a very beautiful doll you have there!" Maybelle said, trying to lighten the mood a little.

Daniella ignored her.

Maybelle then reached out to touch the doll only for Daniella to yank it away. Maybelle felt a tinge of fear when she noticed her eyes were tinted a shade of blue...

"DON'T TOUCH HIM!!!" Daniella screamed...her voice sounded as if two different people were talking at once...

Maybelle was taken back by this action and she watched as Daniella stood up and reached into her toybox, pulling out a plastic knife and a Barbie doll before beginning to 'stab'  the knife into the doll...