Chapter 33: Live Your Dreams

Fatima and Zac had finally made it official. No more denying their love for each other. Zac is now ready to meet Fatima's parents, but she thinks it's too soon. She wants to tell her parents about them first. Convince them that he is a great guy and give them time to process it all before they meet.

Zac on the other hand knows that they were fully invested in Fatima and Paris' relationship. He also knows that meeting them won't be easy, but he wants to get it over with. Meet them now and if they don't like him he has time to win them over before the next step in their relationship.

"Fine, do it your way," Zac said. "But don't take too long."

"Why are you in such a hurry?" Fatima asked.

"Because T, at some point I want I want to marry you and have kids, so I want them to like me."

"Ok, and what if they don't like you?" Fatima asked wanting to know Zac's response.

"It's up to you. If they don't, so be it. I'm going to just ride out into the sunset, just me and my girl. Now the question is how would you feel if your parents don't approve of me? Would you still be with me?"

"I'm grown and it's about time I stop letting my parents control my life. I let them for 28 years. When I moved out 8 months ago, it was to get out of their chokehold, and live my life."

"Damn, how bad was it?" Asked Zac. "I knew being a preacher's kid was tough, but I assumed you enjoyed it for the most part."

"I don't know all the stories you heard. Shoot, I didn't think it was that bad until recently. Now when I think about it, Zac I lived with them my entire twenties. I mean come on, that's embarrassing. But I did it because I was told not to shack up with a guy."

"Well, why didn't you get your place or move in with Andi as you did?"

"I didn't have enough money. I worked at my father's church, but it wasn't enough to get my own place. Besides I was in school. They convinced me to stay there until I got married or got a good-paying job. So, I did."

"What happened to you becoming a lawyer?" He asked.

"Let me explain even further. After high school, I went to get my bachelor's in accounting. As soon as I finished, I started working in the finance department at the church. Like I said it wasn't paying enough. Don't get me wrong, I got paid, but have you seen the Atlanta housing market?"

"Oh, believe me, I know."

"It was better for me to stay home and save my money. Then of course at the time I thought Paris and I would get married and move together. After a few years, my passion changed. I wanted to be a lawyer, so I went to law school. That was another reason to stay with my parents. At first, they didn't agree with me being a lawyer, it took some convincing."

Zac chimed in, "It seems like you always have to convince them when it comes to your happiness."

Fatima just shrugs her shoulder, "Yeah. It's don't have sex before marriage, don't shack up, don't do this, and don't do that. I've always had to make sure I wasn't doing anything to mess up the church's image so they can always brag at how perfect Pastor Fred and Mrs. First Lady's daughter is."

"And how is that going?"

"Well, it was going fine until 8 months ago when I broke it off with their perfect ex future son in law."

"So, what do you want Fatima? Do you still want to be a lawyer? I want you to follow your dreams."

"Yes, I do still want to be a lawyer," Fatima said.

"Well, why aren't you one?" Zac asked. " I know you finished all your classes, right? What's next? Where is that girl I met that wanted to take me on a trip and fuck me knowing she was still engaged?"

"Oh, you like her, huh?" Fatima joked.

"I like Fatima who has goals and ambition. The one who knows what she wants and goes for it. But you still didn't answer my question."

"What, the one about being a lawyer?"

"Yeah, and why are you a paralegal when you said you wanted to be a lawyer?"

"I don't know. Somewhere along the line, while trying to heal from all the mess, I lost sight of my dreams. I do still want to be a lawyer, but what fun is it all without the people I love and adore there by my side?"

"Like who? What people?"

"My parents, my friends, someone like you that I can share it all with." Fatima pauses for a minute. "I became a paralegal just to pay the bills. I still have to take the bar exam."

"And what are you waiting for? Monday morning, I want you to schedule it or whatever you have to do."

"Alright," Fatima said.

"Now the other question is, if your parents don't approve of me, would you still be with me?"

"Of course. I'm not letting my parents dictate my life anymore. It would be their loss."

Zac smiles from ear to ear. "Come here babe, I want to make love to you."

Fatima laughs and then they kiss passionately.