Two Years After the Hunger Games

CHAPTER 1

I awake to find Peeta staring at me. I smile as I feel his warm breath on my face. This is the first time since the reaping 2 years ago that I have actually felt safe with him. I touch his face and he starts to smile too. Since the death of my sister Prim, I’ve lived alone in District 12 with Peeta and Greasy Sae. Peeta brushes the hair out of my face and we share a kiss. I remember what life was like without Peeta, and I swear as long as I live if he ever wants a kiss I will not deny him one, even if his breath does reek of morning stench. "No nightmares" Peeta says. Ever since our struggles through the Hunger Games and the Quell I’ve woken up almost every night with some new nightmare about Cato’s death, Rue’s tragic end, Clove’s attack, Beetee’s failed attempt at electrocuting the other players, Peeta’s horrible reunion with me, the list goes on and on. "Great." I reply. For a second my smile fades and Peeta asks me if there was anything wrong. Of course I told him everything is fine, but deep down I remember that District 2 is supposed to be making an arrival today here in 12. District 2. Gale.

I get up and hobble over to the table that is right in front of our bed. I run through my daily procedure.

My name is Katniss Everdeen. I am now 18 years old. I was the Mocking Jay. I killed Coin. I now live with Peeta. I don’t talk to Gale anymore. Gale killed my sister… I stop midway through my thought because I don’t want to become even more upset than I already am about getting to see Gale for the first time in two years today. I leave Peeta alone in the room to get dressed. I walk into the bathroom and Greasy Sae has left clothes on the counter near the sink. I slip off my silk nightgown and change into a pale green shirt and kakis. I run through the rest of my list in the bathroom. President Snow is dead, there are no more Hunger Games, I am safe, District 12 was bombed a long time ago, District 12 is being rebuilt… I hear a knock on the door. I open the bathroom door to see Haymitch who has just seemed to have drunkenly wobbled over into my house. "Hey Sweetheart," he mutters "you ready to start the day? We got a whole lot of rebuilding to do." He sets the bottle of white wine he brought over on the counter. "As ready as I’ll ever be." I say feeling sick to my stomach from the smell of the intoxicated man.

"Haymitch?" I whisper hoping Peeta won’t hear me. "Yes?" he replies. "Gale is coming to 12 today…" I say slowly. "Oh no. That tall handsome kid, whatever shall I do?" He mocks my tone. "Haha very funny. But really, I don’t know how I can face him let alone talk to him without Peeta getting worried-" Haymitch stops me in my tracks "Look. I know you love Peeta and he loves you too, so dont you think Peeta would understand?" He says. "Peeta will understand what?" Peeta says. He’s up and has gotten dressed. "Well, District 2 is coming into town today…" I tell Peeta cautiously. "Oh. Gale lives in 2 now, right?" Peeta asks. I can’t tell if he’s joking or if he really doesn’t know. "Yes. He does. And Haymitch and I were debating whether or not I should go see him." I say. There is a long pause. Peeta’s facial expression changes. "Absolutely not."

CHAPTER 2

"Why not?" I say taken aback by his answer. I guess Haymitch was wrong about Peeta understanding. "Because. I’ve lost you so many times, and Gale waltzing into town might take you from me again. So no." I can tell where Peeta is coming from when he says this. Gale had won

my heart a while back and there is no doubt that if Gale has even one speck of feelings for me he would try to get me back. "Peeta, Gale isn’t like that with me anymore. I haven’t talked to him in years!" I snap. The memories of Gale and I are flooding back into my memory. When he told me he loved me, and then we got into a fight. Then the time in Snow’s mansion when he left me. How could he do that? Just leave with no explanation? I know that Gale thinks I will be better off with Peeta and I know that for a fact, but that was no reason to run. I try to stop myself from having those thoughts realizing they sound very selfish. "You know what. Fine. I won’t see him." I say to Peeta as I push Haymitch out of the way to give Peeta a hug. When I hug Peeta all of those feelings and memories of Gale disappear. "I love you" I whisper to Peeta. "Real or not real?" he asks. "Real" I say hugging him tighter.