03. embarrassment

things do start getting a little steamy from here 

(grace's pov)

"gracie! you're up by yourself!" taylor exclaims, as i walk down the stairs.

"i'm just looking forward for school," i say, smiling.

"i see, i see," she said, making me turn red.

after i eat my bagel with jalapeno cream cheese before rushing out the door. i walk to school and see riley, lucas, and farkle, but not maya.

"hi grace!" riley says, after spotting me.

"hey riley, where's maya?" i ask.

"we don't know, we're waiting for her," riley explains.

we all stand there waiting for maya but none of us see her and once the bell rings, we each go to our classes. i worried for the next couple hours cause she wasn't there in third or fourth period either. once the bell rings for lunch, i rush to riley and bombard her with questions.

"did maya respond?"

"have you seen her in the hallway?"

"is she okay?"

"grace! calm down! let's go look for her," riley said, putting her hand on my shoulder.

"i'll help, and so will smackle, and lucas," farkle adds, as they three walk over.

after searching the school and outside, as i was walking back in, i saw blonde hair behind the school. i walk over, the rest of them following me, confused. once i went over, i saw maya there, she was with zay... they were kissing.

"ahem." riley said, catching her attention.

"oh, hey guys" she said, looking down at her feet.

"you skipped school to make out with zay!" riley exclaimed.

"chill out, it was one day," maya said, shoving past me, walking away.

"m-maya?"

"fuck off gracie,"

"maya, c'mon,"

she walks over to me before pushing me down. i would have been on the floor if riley didn't catch me. she runs her hands through her hair and walks over to me, making me shake. she grabs my arm and twists it, looking over at the bruise i got from being shoved.

"riley, go clean this up," she said, dropping my hand.

and the next thing i know... she was gone.

i couldn't think as riley pulled me down the road. all i could think about was maya. why did she look at my arm? why did her eyes look worried? what's going on.

"grace! grace! GRACE!"

i look up in surprise as i saw mrs. matthews waving her hand in front of my face. i look down and see farkle wrapping up my hand. i pull away and stand up.

"i'm fine, guys. i'm going out," i say, as the half-wrapped bandage falls off.

i check my phone and see ten missed calls from mom and dad. fuck. i quickly call back.

"GRACE! where the hell are you?!" mom yells through the phone.

"i'm just with friends, i'm sorry i didn't tell you. i'll be home for dinner tho," i respond.

"god gracie, don't ever scare me like that again. just be careful and be back before eight," she says.

"sure mom,"