Chapter 7: Comity Inn

"So Trast had rescued them when they were young, and they have been by his side ever since?" Axle asked,

"Yep." Eryd nodded.

"And they were worried about him going insane and knew that Biura had lied to him."

"That too. I ended up telling them that we could help, and you guys did- even before I could tell you about what Lark and Irv told me." Eryd smiled.

"I'm glad things played out the way they did." Lidya said, "He might have gone insane if Cerise hadn't offered to help him."

"And I'll be back to him as soon as I figure out whether or not the archives can help him or not." Cerise, who was in front of the group, turned around and said.

"Another thing Eryd-" Axle said, "How did you get the griffin's to calm down when you talked to them?"

"Well, most of the time animals are fairly awed by the fact I can understand them. But back when I was in the Circus, there was a time when Mr.Rassvet added an old chimera to the freak show and- unsurprisingly made me feed it. I ended up making friends with her and she told me that most creatures won't attack if they don't feel threatened. And that showing you bear no weapon and sitting down makes them feel safer, she also told me to never turn my back on one but also never look it in the eye. And so far that's worked with every animal I've interacted with in Orenda, I'm not sure if it works for those outside Orenda though." Eryd told him, Axle just listened in amazement.

The group, now six strong, was walking through the woods behind Cerise. The sky had grown overcast with light grey clouds.

"I hope we get to Penrith before it rains." Acer said, looking up at the clouds.

"It doesn't look like it's going to rain for a while. I'm sure we're fine." Axle told him.

"I don't know, I smell Petrichor. Usually that means it's going to rain." Lidya said.

"I'm sorry- you smell what?" Axle asked.

"Petrichor, it's the name for how rain smells." Cerise answers him.

"How did you know that?" Lidya asked.

"I had a lot of time alone with books as a kid." Cerise shrugged.

Lidya smiled and then a question popped into her mind.

"Axle, you're made of metal, wouldn't you-"

"Be damaged by water? Only if I sit in it for a long time, the main problem with water is that it fills up in my limbs and I have to empty and dry them out. Also I sink. So- while I do love the body my dad made for me, I can't exactly go swimming anymore. Honestly I was a pretty bad swimmer when I was all flesh, so it's not like I'm missing anything." Axle answers nonchalantly.

"I can swim either." Lidya answered, hugging herself. "I don't really like water that much as it is... and I HATE boats"

"Well, lucky for you there'll be no need for us to get on a boat on our way to Glassop." Acer told her with a wink.

"Good." Lidya smiled. Then she felt a drop of water hit her nose and looked up.

It started to rain, first a sprinkle then sheets.

"Oh that's not good." Axle muttered. The group quickened their pace.

"Acer, here!" Cerise took off her cloak and Tossed one end to Acer, the two stretched the cloak over the other party members and held it up to shelter them from the rain as they all rushed to find the town.

"Are we close to Penrith yet?" Acer asked, having to yell to be heard over the rain.

"We should be!" Cerise answered.