chapter 13 (part 2)

"Defense?" Lucy tilts her head to the side in question.

"What do you do in the defense test?" Lucy stretches her arms up into the air then yawns lightly.

"Well… I would explain but I guess you can just wait and see" Sting smirks at the yawning Lucy. She wipes away her tears that were formed when yawning.

"Welcome to the defense area! As you may have guessed this area tests your defense!" The teacher twirls and makes a peace sign at Sting, Rogue and Lucy, making them sweat drop. "In this area you will be attacked continuously for ten minutes. You will have to defend yourself or dodge out of the way. After ten minutes, you are able to strike the machine attacking you. So in conclusion, this test wants to see if your defense is good and if you are durable!" The teacher flips his red hair to the side and throws a grin at Lucy.

"By the way, rule number one, you can't attack the machine until ten minutes have passed!" The strange teacher starts to twirl yet again. "And with that! Have fun!" He stops twirling and points at the three of them. Lucy, Rogue and Sting all get transported into a different dimension.

_________________________________________

"So basically they want to see if I can last huh…" Lucy mumbles to herself as she walks around the dimension she was transported to.

It looks like Lucy was trapped inside of a computer due to the wires and glitches in the sky.

Gazing at the giant clock that was hanging from nothing, Lucy lets out a giant sigh. Lucy stops and her ears start to tingle. She could sense that something was going to attack her.

Her eyes widen and she jumps out of the way of an attack.

"… Shoot. That was close" Lucy just barely dodges a streak of crimson red light that was heading towards her.

"I have nine minutes left? Lets make the most of this then" Lucy talks to herself.

She faces her palm upwards and electricity starts to form around her hands. Lucy looks over to her shooter; it is a giant mechanical canon with a sensor shaped as an eye to follow Lucy's movements.

The sensor adjusts its lens then starts to fire rapidly towards Lucy.

"I want to attack but that's against the rules for now." Lucy shouts as she slams both of her hands down onto the floor, creating a barrier of high voltage electricity to try and block its assault.

She manages to block a few laser beams however; in the process she receives cuts around her arms and one on her face.

"…Ugh. I hate how I can't attack." Lucy points her index finger towards the machinery as if she's going to strike magic at any moment.

However, she manages to stop her temptation. She pulls her hand back and slowly reaches up to her face to touch her cut cheek.

"When the ten minutes are up, I will make sure to obliterate you to specks of dust" Lucy punches her hand.

The canon didn't do anything in response to Lucy's declaration. It just adjusts its lens and shoot at Lucy yet again.

"Is that it?" Lucy taunts the machine. Lucy quickly glances at the giant clock hanging in thin air.

"7 minutes left?" Lucy flicks her tongue in annoyance. Suddenly the mechanical canon starts to generate deafening, high pitch, robotic sounding noises. Lucy covers both of her ears from pain. She winces and closes her left eye.

"What is it doing?" Lucy asks herself. The canon suddenly changes its appearance and turns into an automaton that has a long sword in its right hand. Lucy stares at the strange robot and sighs.

"…I see. The robot is going to change its appearance every few minutes so it can see my defense against different types of offense." Lucy grins and, with the swing of her arm, creates a sword out of electricity. The robot vocalizes some beeping sounds and dashes towards to Lucy, swinging diagonally it's sword toward her.

"Gah!" Lucy manages to block the attack but both of their swords are colliding with one another.

Entangled with each other's swords, Lucy tries to push the robot back with her strength.

"5 minutes!" Lucy shouts out, trying to relieve her frustration. "Knocking your sword out of your hand doesn't count as attacking right?" Lucy asks the robot with a smirk. She manages to push the automaton back and slam her sword against the opponents one, making it fly out of its hands.

"3 minutes and a half…" Lucy sighs from relief. The robot pauses for a slight second but starts to change it's again, creating the loud racket yet again.

"What is it now?" Lucy shouts as she covers her ears. She watches as the robot changes into an archer with a bow in its hands.

"Ranged attacks now?" Lucy removes her hands from her ears. The archer robot jumps backwards to get some distance and pulls out a few arrows from its back. Just like lightning, the robot starts to fire rapidly at Lucy. She tries to dodge but the arrows were too fast.

"I can't predict its movements!" Lucy screams to herself. She slowly produces more cuts as the arrows pass by her. Blood starts to flow down, from Lucy's left arm, onto the floor.

"What should I do? I'll fail if I can't dodge or block these attacks!" Lucy says under her breath as she continues to tries dodge the arrows flying past. Lucy takes her pocket watch out.

"Time delay!" Lucy attempts to use her time magic but nothing happens. "What?! Time delay!" Lucy tries to use her magic again but nothing happens.

"What the heck is going on?" Lucy eyes start to shake as she stares at her pocket watch. "What should I do?" Lucy starts to run to the side. She, out of nowhere, comes to a complete stop.

"Feel the attack?" Lucy suddenly gets a spark of inspiration from her past. "Close your eyes and concentrate on your ears…" Lucy says in a monotone voice as if she was copying someone else's lines.

"Lets try that then!" Lucy smiles and closes her eyes.

Concentrate Lucy. Feel the arrow pierce through the air… Lucy says in her thoughts. She suddenly feels a spark of lightning pass through her head, sending a message to her brain.

Right, left, right again then downwards… Lucy, who still has her eyes closed, starts to dodge the arrows perfectly. It starts to look like Lucy was dancing with arrows.

Left, upwards, right, left again, twice to the right… Lucy starts to catch the drift on how she should dodge the arrows and starts to avoid the arrows, with elegance.

On the last arrow that was shot, Lucy twirls and stops on one foot. "Times up…" Lucy smiles at the automaton. The clock rings, meaning ten minutes have passed.

Lucy inhales and opens up her arms upwards. She finally opens her eyes and a storm on thunder starts to rain down and it hits the mechanical robot.

Lucy continues to use her thunderstorm After Lucy finishes she says,

"Thank you" Bowing elegantly, Lucy smiles once more at the smoking 'dead' robot.

Lucy is then transported back into Sabertooth.