Chapter 9

"Too bad Charles has to keep post at the bridge! He's gonna miss what could be a great game of poker!" Lowe said with a grin. "I'm gonna mention how he's about to miss a perfectly good game the next time I see him!" He then added. "Alright fellas, to start out, I'm putting down the hatch: £10." Wilde began. "Setting the bar pretty high for the beginning, aren't you, Henry?" Will commented in amusement. "How 'bout it, Will?" Wilde replied with his cocky grin. William looked down at his cards, a small amused smile on his lips. "Fine. £10." He then said, pushing his own bounty into the middle. "How about you two?" He then asked, turning towards the two junior officers. Moody looked at his cards, debating with himself. Within his silent debate, Harold spoke up. "I'm in! £10!" Now, everyone was looking at James Moody, waiting for his final answer. At last, he said, "Fine, I'm in. £10." "You don't have to, lad." Wilde then said, a cigar in the corner of his mouth. "True, though if you were to back out, you would have no chance of winning." William said, puffing on his pipe, a grin on his own face. As Moody looked at his superior, he thought to himself about how long it had been since he had seen a genuine smile-or a smile at all- on Will Murdoch's face. He realized that he liked to see that smile. Knowing that his superior was finally feeling better made James himself feel better as well. "Well, I'm in." Moody repeated again. "Doesn't mean you'll win." Lowe muttered. He never once lost that grin on his face, telling all those around him that Harold Lowe both intended and wanted to win. Moody smiled at Lowe's comment. "So, Will," Wilde began again as the game continued. "How you feeling about Miss Florence, aye?" William glanced at his friend before answering. "She's nice." Was all he said. "That's all you have to say?" Wilde replied. "What's there left to say? She's nice, helpful and intellectual." He responded.
The game of poker continued into the early evening. Whereas the game's beginning started with a sum total of £40, it now moved up to £80, and knowing people like Henry Wilde and Harold Lowe, they could easily bring the total over £100! "Alright, fellas. Anyone want to bring the bidding up?" Lowe asked. "James?" James looked at his cards. His handful wasn't bad, but he's already at a chance of losing £80 and he didn't feel comfortable losing any more, so he shook his head no. "Henry?" The 6'1" man looked at his own set of cards before shaking his head no as well. "I shouldn't have bid so high. Dammit." "William?" Murdoch looked at his three tablemates, a small grin on his face. He shook his head no as well. "Alright. Cards?" Lowe then asked. First, it was Harold himself; he lost, much to his dismay. Next, was James; he lost. £80 lost. Third, was Henry; he lost as well. Finally, it was William. Just like the other three, he put his own cards down on the table... and revealed a full house; he had won. While the others were all shocked, it seemed Harold was shocked the most. All of a sudden, there were a few claps coming from Wilde. "Well played, William!" He said. "Well, I believe it's high time I turn in for the night. William, you good for your watch duty tonight?" Wilde said, flipping out his pocket watch to check the time before dropping it back into his pocket. "Aye, I'll be alright." Murdoch replied. "Righty-ho, then. See you at two!" And with that, Wilde made his departure out of the smoking room and into the chill of the cold evening. Lowe and Moody walked out in the same way they walked in, which was side by side. The only difference is that Lowe was sulking at his £80 loss. The smoking room fell into silence as Murdoch was back to being the only living soul. Taking out his own pocket watch, he looked at the time. When he saw that it read 9:30, he realized he needed to hurry. Who knew that a game of poker could last for three hours?! When he first settled down, it was about 6:30, and Wilde had just gotten off watch. Putting the watch back in his pocket, he collected his winnings and headed out into the cold, evening chill, making for the Titanic's bridge with haste. Upon his arrival, his attention was caught by Charles Lightoller, who was at his post at the starboard bridge wing. "Hey, William! So I heard you had beaten the others in a game of poker. I heard this information mainly from Harold's sulking." Lightoller said. "Aye! I beat the three over £80! But I'm sure he'll get over it sooner or later." Murdoch replied. "Yeah. But let's hope it's sooner. Cause if I have to hear about it every day, I'm either gonna kill him, you, or myself." Lightoller muttered. Murdoch let out a small laugh. "Well, if you allow me to retire to my cabin for a moment to get my bearings, I'll be back out here to relieve you from duty." Murdoch then said. "No problem." Lightoller replied. Walking into the Officer's Quarters, Murdoch entered his cabin and closed the door behind him. With quick haste, Murdoch put away his £80 he won, and put on his long, evening coat. After making some last minute checks in the mirror on his physical appearance, he headed back outside. He was just fixing on his black leather gloves as he walked out onto the wheelhouse and onto the bridge, where he rejoined Lightoller on the bridge wing once again. "You're free to go on your rounds, Charles." He said. "Cheerio, then!" Lightoller waved as he walked off. As Will turned his attention to the looming blackness in front of him, he happened to wonder about what Miss Florence was currently up to. His best guess was that while he was out in the freezing cold of night she was perhaps all comfy and warm in her assigned cabin. Tonight was the first in many nights when Murdoch was back at his usual post at the bridge. With the many days away, the bridge platform under his feet and the wood he was resting his arms and hands against still felt so familiar, yet there was also a small twinge of a foreign feeling. Murdoch felt good to be back at the bridge. The sea was like a second home for him and he enjoyed living in that second home.