Chapter 8 - Nice view

Felix's POV

After a long time, I felt good getting up for work. I didn't have any anxiety that I could be fired at any moment, and thanks to the contract with an important client, I felt that I had also gained the respect of my colleagues. Mr. Park even smiled at me in the elevator! Chris was really proud of me, and that was the biggest reward for me. Sometimes he would ask me about the details of how I managed to make the contract, maybe so he could praise me even more, but so far, I've always managed to make up a lie. I couldn't tell him that Hwang Hyunjin was flirting with me until I promised him another date.

It would all be idyllic if there wasn't a voice in the back of my mind telling me I didn't deserve it. That I'm just an imposter. If it'd be anyone other than Hwang Hyunjin, I'd already lose my job. I sold myself out. But I tried to pretend it wasn't like that. Ignore it as long as possible. But I knew that when I meet Mr. Hwang again, it will be a living reminder that I didn't achieve anything.

When I entered the office, Jisung was already there, dozing on the chair and Changbin, who had meanwhile rearranged all his things on his desk and hid his mouse and keyboard. As soon as he saw me, he just gestured to me with a smile to be quiet and not wake Jisung. I smiled back at him and decided to join him. I untied Jisung's shoelaces and turned his monitor upside down. Changbin chuckled softly and we would have continued if our leader Chris hadn't walked into the office.

He stopped and looked at our masterpiece. He just sighed and gave us one of his disappointed dad looks, which only made us hold back more laughter.

I really started to like it here. Once I put aside the worries of meeting our department's goals and had that contract, I could focus on other things. For example, on the fact that they cook for us quite well in the cafeteria and on that I have free coffee here. Also, I'm in a team with really great guys.

Both Changbin and I burst out laughing when Chan purposely threw his bag loudly on the table, waking up Jisung, who immediately jumped out of his chair, causing his shoes to fall due to the loose shoelaces.

"Hey! Hold on!" He yelled at us as he slowly began to realize what was different. He lunged at Changbin first, trying to punch him in the shoulder, but Changbin just head locked him with ease, laughing even more as Jisung cursed.

I watched the entire comedy and took a quick look at Chris, who wasn't participating, but I could see him smiling behind his monitor as well.

It would be a great morning to start a great day at work. Except that Chris's phone rang around nine o'clock. I wouldn't have listened to him, but since it was quiet in the office and apart from the sounds of typing on the keyboard that Jisung had already found, that was the loudest sound, so I kind of heard the whole conversation.

"Yes sir?... Felix?... He's here... Now?... Is something going on?... Okay, okay, I'll send him there right now." I was surprised at the mention of my name. And yeah, I was intentionally listening to the whole call now. I turned to Chris' desk and raised curiously eyebrows at him. When he hung up the phone, he looked at me as confused as I had looked at him a moment ago.

"Where are you sending me?"

"Well... To Mr. Park." He shrugged. "I don't know what he's up to, he just wants to borrow you for a while?"

My throat tightened. What could he want from me? Maybe the contract wasn't enough for him, he changed his mind and he's going to fire me anyway.

"Another screw up?" Jisung asked out loud, who would surely be happy if I had any screw up. For bullying him in the morning.

"I doubt it, he would want me to come too. And he sounded kind of... cheerful." Chris wondered aloud. His reasoning calmed me down a bit, but I still didn't feel good about it.