Act 3 - Chapter 38: Ari

Hikaru paces around, staring at random radio equipment on the shelves. "It's been so long, hasn't it, Arizona? For the longest time, I wondered whether you would take steps to fulfill The Promise when you enlisted with CrystalCorps' WarGames team." She turns her head and faces me, a smile forming on lips.

"The Promise?" I say, raising a brow.

"Long ago, I promised to you I would reunite you and your sister. I don't remember if I told you this, but I don't like making promises I can't keep, and —"

I finish, "And the promise of reuniting Mathilde and I is what's keeping you awake at night, yeah?"

Hikaru sighs. "Yes, it is. For almost thirteen years. Yet, after a short web-call with Dr. Williams moments ago, she shared some information regarding Mathilde's whereabouts. If it's true and Ruby Solstice of The Eyes of War is your sister, then we need to act now," Hikaru shifts her gaze to Skylar, "which I'm assuming is the reason you're here, yes?"

Skylar nods. "Aye. Well, that and more." She pauses, stuttering, but says, "I have ideas on how to bolster the city's defenses against these potential invaders. It uses what this city has an abundance of: loud speakers."

"Oh?" Hikaru's eyes widen in curiosity. "So we can ward these creatures using sound?"

"Yes, preferably something with heavy bass. I suggest setting up a wall of speakers directed towards The Aether Dome. From there we can blast a high-wattage directional sound, disorienting the strange beasts."

Samza raises a hand. "Yo, I got a thumping-ass mix-tape for this shit."

Hikaru rubs her chin. "What a strange remark. I was not expecting vernacular like that from your kind, but I suppose everyone has their quirks. Anyway, such a 'mix-tape' could prove its worth in this project."

Skylar continues, "following that, I believe Rowynn and Ari have plans to infiltrate the Aether Dome and rescue Mathilde."

Hikaru raises her chin and turns her head from side to side, glancing at everyone. "I guess that's the reason all of you are here."

All of us nod their heads in agreement.

"Yes," Rowynn answers. "While defenses are worth considering, our infiltration team has plans to bypass The Aether Dome's security and shut it down."

Hikaru's brows furrow. "So it seems the Aether Dome is a dire threat. In that case, I trust you on your plans." She turns to me and says, "Arizona, if Mathilde is in such great peril, then I'll do what I can to help you out. While I have nothing that resembles explosives and firepower, I can equip your friends' vehicles with bass systems capable of producing the sounds you need to ward off the monsters. Meanwhile, Skylar's crew at The Nine O'Clock Tribute can attack with their guns."

Mezos says, "Well, we have loud audio systems installed in our cars already. I would know — that's one of the first things we installed when The Hoon Squad got their cars."

"How about Arizona's motorcycle?" Hikaru suggests.

I say with a smirk, "I don't listen to music when I ride my bike, but if it's going to help the mission, then I'm all ears."

"Don't worry," Hikaru says, "I know someone in town who can work on your bike. They're from the Gilgamesh Biker Club of Las Vegas."

I bought my motorcycle from Gilgamesh Powersports last summer. If it's anyone who knows a thing about the inner workings of my motorcycle, it's them. Though Samza and Mezos tinkered with it when they installed the aetheric warp drive on it, so who knows how of much it has changed inside. Still, I'm sure the folks at Gilgamesh might have some ideas on how to install an aftermarket audio system.