Chapter 9: Dancing

Like the recluse Eugene did not like to claim he was, he spent twenty minutes simply talking himself into joining the party. It only took twenty minutes because Alice charged into his room and shoved a black mask with a gold moon in its center into his hands.

The sheer amount of color and masks overwhelmed him. But he quickly reasoned that the masks provided a level of anonymity. For everyone but Alice who dressed as "Starlight" in a most extravagant way. Alexander also wore all black with a star on his mask. In retrospect, she had made them the perfect escorts.

Eugene spotted a masqueraded woman. One dressed as a bee. Above this woman's head sat his hat, and he could not express just how much the little detail revived him, even if had been the one to suggest it. He walked over to her without much thought of what he would say.

"Eugene?" she addressed, recognizing his undeniable silhouette.

He cocked his head and stared at the woman he had kissed a mere two hours earlier.

I almost didn't recognize you had you not been wearing my hat."

"It makes me feel rather distinguished- as if I owned the entirety of England." She lifted her mask, "Is that how you feel when you wear these fancy hats?"

He laughed and ignored the question, "You look... beautiful."

A healthy flush ran through her face. "Thank you... I do not recognize myself. Did you know your sister made this all herself? She had the yellow dress, but she alone turned it into a bee."

"I had no idea she was working on a costume for you. In all honesty, I expected you to show up clad in your trousers and shirt while claiming that you were parading as a beekeeper."

"It crossed my mind," she teased, "But that costume would need me to raid the apiary to bring a queen bee and a few of her attendants- then it would be perfect."

His eyes widened at the mere suggestion of willingly introducing bees to the safety of indoors, "I like this better."

"I agree."

The two conversed gently, still reeling from the kiss until Lord Purcell came between the pair.

"Miss Berkeley, could I invite you to dance? I really need to know how the delivery service is going."

"Ah, yes, of course!"

As the Purcell father whisked May away, she gave one last smile to Eugene and began dancing with Lord Purcell. The lord did enjoy conversation with May but did not want her taking up all of his son's attention.

Alexander waved Eugene over after being left alone.

"Are you still courting Miss Louisa?" asked Alexander.

"Yes?"

"When are you proposing?"

"I don't know."

Alexander laughed. "That's a hefty dowry you can not pass up. She's not too hard on the eyes either, so go make it clear you want to propose."

Alexander usually would not meddle as much as he was now, but Lord Purcell put him up to it.

"I don't know-"

"Nonsense, Eugene. This is what's best for you," said Alexander with a shake of Eugene's shoulders. "Mother wants the wedding bells already."

"I suppose."

"Perfect."

Alexander gave him detailed instructions on what to do. And Eugene did just that.

He pulled Louisa to the center of the room, and Eugene twirled her, smiling with every response. He also held her tight, like Alexander recommended. In one instance, Louisa whispered into his ear, so he chuckled, also like Alexander recommended.