Chapter 15: Epilogue

May glanced at the wonderful weather outside, "Am I able to walk outside before the evening comes?" she asked the doctor, "It's so sunny today."

"Yes, but a quick and accompanied stroll."

"Sunny," repeated Eugene, "I like it. Sunny."

"For a name?" May questioned, somewhat aghast. "We can't name our child simply "Sunny."'

Eugene inspected his recently birthed, somewhat coneheaded daughter, now sleeping in his arms, "It can be a nickname."

"Susannah?" amended May, "And we can use Sunny on our own."

"Susannah." Eugene tested the name and shook his head. "I don't like it. There's a syllable too many."

"Susan," May offered, and Eugene made a face.

"I did not expect you to be so fussy," she added with a laugh, and he shrugged his shoulders while keeping the rest of his arms still to not wake up the baby girl.

May did not want to admit that she did like Sunny. It was not a proper name, and she did not want to somehow doom her daughter on the day of her birth. Sunny Purcell. The damned name did sound charming.

The doctor finished packing his tools and took his leave.

"You like Sunny," Eugene accused with certainty. "Sunny is perfect for her. Look at her! And she was born on a sunny day; what could be more fitting?"

"Will we name our next child 'Foggy' if he is born with heavy fog outside?" she ribbed dryly.

Eugene sat beside May on the bed, changing their daughter to lay on his chest. "I don't mind Foggy."

May's lips curled into an unwitting smile and let her head fall to his shoulder. "I don't mind Sunny."

He could have leapt at the victory but remained in bed with the slumbering baby and kissed his wife on the top of her head.

And so the baby was christened Sunny Purcell followed by several siblings over the next ten years. Dawn Purcell, well, after that girl's time of birth. Lily Purcell quite simply after the flowers Eugene brought his wife that morning. And the youngest, August Purcell, born in August.