sixty three: the argo ii.

BROOKLYN HAD BEEN talking to Percy, Hazel, and Frank while they waited for the Senate meeting when an explosion happened nearby.

"What the fuck?" Brooklyn mumbled.

"The ship," Frank realized. "Look up."

She looked up just in time to see a massive spear wreathed in Greek fire, sailing straight through the broken dome of the Senate House, exploding inside, lighting up the building like a jack-o'-lantern. If anyone had been in there . . .

"That's not good," Percy said.

"What do we do?" Hazel asked.

Brooklyn could barely hear her over the crowd that was pushing and shoving. Fistfights were breaking out around her. They all gathered into one collective mob, where people snarled and shouted and ripped her cape. Someone pulled her hair, and she snarled and shocked them with an electric shock.

"We try and stay alive," she said, "And figure out a plan." She looked behind her and saw the fountain. "Percy, cover us!"

"Right!" They stood in the fountain, Percy repelling the angry Romans with water as Brooklyn looked around desperately.

She saw that several dozen Romans had surrounded Piper and Jason, who were trying to calm them without much luck. Piper's words were useless against so many screaming, angry demigods. Jason's forehead was bleeding. His purple cloak had been ripped to shreds. He kept pleading, "I'm on your side!" but his orange Camp Half-Blood T-shirt didn't help matters — nor did the warship overhead, firing flaming spears into New Rome. One landed nearby and blasted a toga shop to rubble.

Armed legionnaires were hurrying toward the forum. Two artillery crews had set up catapults just outside the Pomerian Line and were preparing to fire at the Argo II. Brooklyn saw another purple cape, and that could only be Reyna.

And then Brooklyn saw Annabeth, who was running over to them when another explosion rocked the forum. This time the flash of light was directly overhead. One of the Roman catapults had fired, and the Argo II groaned and tilted sideways, flames bubbling over its bronze-plated hull.

Brooklyn noticed a figure clinging desperately to the rope ladder, trying to climb down. It was Octavian, his robes steaming and his face black with soot.

Annabeth finally got to them.

"Annabeth!" Brooklyn called. "What's happening?"

"I don't know!" Annabeth yelled.

"I'll tell you what!" cried a voice from above. Octavian had reached the bottom of the ladder. "The Greeks have fired on us! Your boy Leo has trained his weapons on Rome!"

"You're lying," Annabeth's face fell. "Leo would never—"

"I was just there!" Octavian shrieked. "I saw it with my own eyes!"

The Argo II returned fire. Legionnaires in the field scattered as one of their catapults was blasted to splinters.

"You see?" Octavian screamed. "Romans, kill the invaders!"

"We have to leave," Annabeth demanded. "Now."

Percy nodded grimly. "Hazel, Frank, you've got to make a choice. Are you coming?"

Hazel looked terrified, but she donned her cavalry helmet. "Of course we are. But you'll never make it to the ship unless we buy you some time."

"How?" Annabeth asked.

Hazel whistled. Instantly a blur of beige shot across the forum. Arion materialized next to the fountain. He reared, whinnying and scattering the mob. Hazel climbed on his back. Strapped to the horse's saddle was a Roman cavalry sword.