VI : Eros

Roseanne descended the stairs of Hades with purpose and certainty. She knew this domain to be nobler than Earth or Olympus. She was proud to return to it, to take refuge in its Mercy.

After crossing the Styx, she took off her sandals, bare feet pressing into the black mud as she walked into the darkness again, through the void, until she could feel Lisa's nearness. It was a warmth, a soft, sad glow, a feeling in the air that had its own vibration and taste. Roseanne rounded a corner of stone and found her, curled in a nest of furs and pillows in a great hollow chamber of rock and marble. She looked small and exhausted, knees curled toward her chest under a soft silver nightgown, dark hair piled on the pillow behind her.

"Lisa."

Lisa rolled over to look at her, eyes wide with surprise to see Roseanne back in Hades after only two weeks. She rose as soon as she could, walking the few paces between them. He nightgown slipped down to cover her legs, sweeping along the misty floor of the great room.

"What do you need?"

She seemed anxious, as though she knew something was not right on Earth.

Roseanne didn't know how to answer. She didn't know what she needed -- certainly nothing she could name, like a flower or fruit or breeze. She shook her head, trying to convey there was no object she desired.

And yet her hand reached out, wanting something.

Lisa's hand rose to meet hers, and as soon as they connected, Roseanne knew.

She lifted her other hand to Lisa's face and brought it to her own, pressing lips to lips, the softness and warmth within each of them connecting. It was more alive than the goodbye kiss she'd given Lisa previously. She felt an awakening in it.

The great cavern seemed to shrink around them. Not in a way that made Roseanne hungry for air or wanting escape; rather it seemed to cocoon them together, shielding them from the outside world so completely that Roseanne forgot it existed; there was no Underworld, no Earth, no forest or river or Olympus. There was only this: Lisa's arms, Lisa's lips against hers, in all their desperation and joy. Roseanne felt as though a dozen tiny suns shone upon them from every direction.

Their kiss deepened and Roseanne grasped at Lisa's nightgown, the fine, slippery fabric smooth as marble against her hands. No sooner had she gathered it to lift, it seemed to dissolve into mist, and her hands were upon Lisa's bare skin, and she shivered despite the warmth. How wrong she had been to think death was cold; Lisa was so warm and soft to the touch, Roseanne wondered for a moment if she might be better suited to bringing forth life.

Roseanne pressed Lisa to her heart, trying to absorb her as Lisa had the souls of mortals, wanting to give her that peace. Lisa fell further against her, breath shaking and wet, and Roseanne held her up, feeling her own robes dissolve too. They were skin to skin, held up in the mist, warm and soft and wrapped in each other. Roseanne hoped Lisa could feel her unwavering admiration and love for her through her body.

Hands slipped against breasts and into secret places, bringing forth gasps and moans and cries of joy. They were suspended together, life and death in perfect balance, until the last pulse echoed between them. Then they drifted back down into the nest of furs Lisa had been sleeping in.

Roseanne thought perhaps the warm glow she felt came from Lisa's face, she was beaming so wondrously. For the first time, Roseanne saw joy in Lisa's eyes. She marveled at it, drawing her finger over the curve of Lisa's cheek, watching as Lisa's eyelashes fluttered and closed.

All was quiet and warm and right above and below.

"I understand death now," Lisa said dreamily.

Roseanne looked at her, wondering.