The Many Surprises

I spent the rest of my time waiting on the sofa. Just one call will change everything. It was getting a little late and it was almost time for Father to come back home. I decided to make dinner which was chicken and roasted pepper roll ups. I guess I can just make dinner while I wait. 

I got my ingredients which were 2 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, halved horizontally. ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, 3 ounce garlic-herb goat cheese, 1 ounce baby spinach, ¾ cup jarred roasted red sweet peppers, drained well and chopped, 1 green onion, finely chopped, and ½ cup purchased dried tomato pesto.  

I started off with preheating the oven to 400°F. Next, I placed the chicken breast halves between pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, I pounded each to 1/4-inch thickness. I seasoned one side of each chicken breast with salt and pepper. I spreaded with the goat cheese on the edges. I topped it with arugula, peppers, and green onion. I pressed down on the toppings, then rolled it up tightly, starting from a short end; I secured it with toothpicks. I brushed the pesto over the rolls. I transferred it to a 2-qt. rectangular baking dish.

I baked, uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes or until the chicken was no longer pink in the center (170°F). I let it stand for 5 minutes. I removed the toothpicks and sliced crosswise to serve. I put them in plates of four for Zane, Father, Dareth, and I. 

I sat back down on the sofa and waited, tirelessly. Suddenly, the doorbell rang. It must be Father. I opened the door and it wasn't Father, instead it was Dareth. 

"Dareth?! Why didn't you call me?" I asked. 

"I'm sorry," Dareth said.

"What do you mean, what happened?" I asked. 

"I'm sorry, I couldn't stop it," Dareth said. 

"Stop what?! Tell me, what happened!" I said. 

"I couldn't stop…the judge…from saying…that Zane is free and his criminal record is gone!" Dareth cheered. 

"What?! Where is he?" I asked. 

"I am right here," I hear. 

I heard Zane’s voice, but I couldn't see him. 

"Where?" I asked. 

Zane popped up from behind Dareth and I looked at him in awe. 

"Zane!" I squealed, jumping on him. 

"P.I.X.A.L!-ha! Thank you so much!" Zane said. 

We hugged for a while and then let go. 

"What took you guys so long?" I asked. 

"Well Zane had to go meet his family and it was a happy reunion. Then, Zane had to get a surprise for you," Dareth said. 

"I told you not to say anything about the surprise!" Zane said. 

"Sorry," Dareth said. 

"That's fine. Come inside guys, I made dinner," I said. 

"You decorated this place up for me?" Zane asked. 

"Why wouldn't I? I would do anything for the people that are really special and close to me," I smirked. 

"Well then thank you," Zane said, giving me a cute smile. 

I smiled back at him. 

"Before you guys start eating, please wait for my Father. It will only take him a few minutes for him to get here," I said. 

Zane nodded. 

Until then we washed our hands and sat at the dining table. 

"Oh, this smells so good, tell your Father to hurry up, Pix," Dareth said.