fifteen - don't drink the kool-aid

CHAPTER FIFTEEN: DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID

4x03

____________

Gale and Hotch covered a lot of ground in their relationship in their drive back to Quantico. Along the way, they reached a mutual understanding that, although Hotch wouldn't be moving in with Gale as she had initially hoped, they would both check in on each other on a regular basis. This agreement also meant that while they were in the field, they would treat each other as colleagues and not as siblings all the time. Gale said she would make no promises to the later half of the compromise when shit hit the fan, and slowly Hotch agreed. 

Hotch's ear injury healed as the days went by and their professional dynamic evolved as Hotch began trusting Gale's judgment and expertise during cases more. 

While at the BAU, Hotch received an urgent call from a child abuse hotline regarding a distressing situation at a libertarian community in Colorado. The hotline had received an anonymous tip that young girls in this community (more like cult thought Gale) were being abused. Originally, Prentiss and Reid were assigned to investigate, but an unexpected emergency prevented Prentiss's from going. In a surprising turn of events, Hotch recommended Gale step into her place to provide a female perspective. Grateful for the opportunity, Gale and Reid geared up for their new assignment.

Gale and Reid didn't have much down time when they arrived. As soon as they landed in Colorado they were greeted by CPS agent Nancy Lunde and drove to the compound. Gale sat in the passenger seat, helping Lunde with directions as Reid continued to go over files in the backseat. "Tell us about the 911 call," he requested.

Lunde took a moment to gather his thoughts. "I believe the he that they referred to is the church's leader, Benjamin Cyrus," she explained.

Reid's brow furrowed as he absorbed the information. "Benjamin Cyrus... No criminal record. No record at all, really. What else do you know about him?"

"It's rumored that he's practicing polygamy and forced marriages," she divulged, the weight of the church's dark secrets hanging heavy in the air.

Gale could tell this compound wasn't all it was thought to be. "Who knows what other dark secrets this place is hiding." she said as they continued down the dirt road. "Do we have any idea who the caller is?"

Lunde's gaze shifting between Gale, Reid and the road. "Uh, Jessica Evanson is the one who the age fits, but... we can't be sure. So, I negotiated interviews with all the children. It wasn't easy," she confessed. This place really didn't like it when outsiders got in their business.

Reid suggested thier course of action. "Well, considering their view on outsiders, it would be best if you didn't identify us as FBI," he proposed.

Gale reached into her bag and retrieved the fake badges that Garcia had skillfully created. She distributed them between Reid and Lunde. "When you introduce us, just use our real names and call us child victim interview experts," she instructed, emphasizing the importance of gaining their trust.