Chapter One

I felt as if the glowing shine of the sun grew dull as I slowly walked through the garden. The winds gave a gentle blow as they carried over the bushes and trees. The snow on the ground was slowly growing gray as the clouds began to consume the light. Every plant surrounding me seemed depressed in thought as they slouched forward, their beautiful bright colors fading to a plain and dull remanence of what used to there. The rustling of a bush startled me as I jumped back raising my hand over my heart as it fiercely pounded in my chest. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I took a small step forward and a creature jumped from the behind the leaves.

I smiled when the fluffy creature looked at me with it's big golden eyes. A cat stood in front me, it's purring resembled the sound of faint thunder. I lightly laughed to myself as the cat tilted it's head. I believe the cat is a female, her bulging belly and gentle eyes announcing that she was preparing to be a mommy. I crouched to the floor and held my hand forward. The cat first looked at me, her tail flicking to one side then the other, as if she was mentally debating to either run away or come closer to me. I smiled as she slowly walked closer to me. When her nose touched my hand she gave in. Her purring as loud as she rubbed her warm black fur over my cold pricked legs. Her whiskers lightly tickled me and I laughed.

I heard a grunt and some low talking. I heard the clinking of helmets and chainmail and the thumping of spears. My eyes widened as I thought of the poor cat. A black cat in the royal courtyard was sure to rise up suspicion, and fear since every black cat held the superstition of bad luck. The cat stopped, her purring was no longer heard. She stayed by my side, she wouldn't move.

"Go, shew! Go!" I whispered loudly as I lightly pushed her back towards the bushes.

She meowed as she looked up at me. A light breeze whipped my cloaked around me An idea sprouted in my head as the guards neared. I quickly picked up the heavy cat and she tried to scurry from my hold, but I quickly stuffed her under my cloak.

Two men walked by, their spears in one hand. They laugh echoed around the garden. They looked at me and their faces grew stiff and serious. I gave them a small smile and waved my hand. I shifted as I sat on the floor so the bulge under my cloak wouldn't make me seem like I was fat. With on hand over the hidden cat, I pointed to a guard.

"Would you mind telling the cook that I will be coming inside in less than an hour and I would deeply appreciate a hot coco." I said sweetly.

The guard smiled at me and gave my a swift bow. I forced a small smile as he looked at me.

"As you wish madam." He replied and then began to walk away along with his friend.

"Thank you!" I yelled after him.

I got up and pulled out the cat. I cradled her in my arms as she rubbed my cloak for the warmth. I noticed a ribbon tied around her neck. I looked at the tag and I read it aloud.

"Lucky," I laughed , "Opposite of what the people think. Ah, you live under the northridge bridge."

I took a deep breath as I looked down both sides of the path I was on, making sure no one was watching me. I walked to the bushes and slid past. I walked a few feet forward before my feet stepped on a stone road.