Chapter Five

"You know your role." My mother said sternly.

"Why can't I have a chance to find true love!" I yelled, tears streaming down my face.

"You know perfectly why." My father came into my mother's defense.

"Because you two gave me into an arranged marriage? I don't want to marry so Prince in Voodoo land, I want to marry a guy who loves me for me, not because I have money or because I'm a Princess." I cried.

My father ran his hand over his face. My mother sighed as she turned around to look out the window.

"Annabelle, you need to understand that you're a Princess, no regular boy is going to love you for who you are. That boy at that filthy cottage just want's your money, he only loves you because you're a Princess." My mother explained sternly.

"You don't know that!" I shrieked.

"Belle," My father tried to come in but my mother held up her hand, stopping him.

"You are going to marry the Prince from Valdan, whether you want to or not." My mother ended the whole argument with that.

~*~

I opened the windows, the cold rain touching my warm skin. I quickly grabbed the blanket rope and when I passed the mirror I stopped. My cheeks were flushed and tear streaked. My dark green eyes were red because I was crying and my curly hair was messy, the tiara on my head looking out of place. I grabbed the gold tiara and threw it on my bed.

I walked to the window, throwing my makeshift rope outside. I tied the other end to my bed, then I began to climb down. I took careful steps as I traveled down. My dress began to stick to me as the rain soaked me. My hair stuck to my face and I frustratingly brushed it away from my eyes. I was almost to the ground when my foot slipped from the wall I fell. I landed hard on my bottom, but I needed to leave so I got up and ran. I ran to the garden and quickly squeezed past the bushes and into the town. I jumped back as a carriage sped past me.

"Watch it!" The man yelled back at me.

I ran down to the bridge and I saw the cottage, but something was different. I noticed the chimney didn't bellow smoke. The lights were all turned off, no glow came from the windows.

"No." I whispered.

I ran to the door and knocked repeatedly but the door stayed closed. I cupped my hands over my face as I peered into the window. The piano was still out, the panel not covering the keys. The books were still closed and the pile untouched. It's as if nothing was touched when I left. I saw a dark figure move and then Lucky was looking back at me with her golden eyes.I smiled at her and waved as I ran back towards the town.

Most of the shops were closing, where were they? I went to the fishing market, but they had already closed. I went to the book shop, but they kicked me out so they could close. I walked through the streets searching for Adam. I felt my heart drop when I thought of never finding him.

"Adam! Hurry up if you wanna see her!" I heard a familiar voice scold.

I turned around and saw Grandma walking away from me with Adam in tow. They were headed towards the palace. I quickly ran, my bare feet slapping against the cold stone road. I waited till I was only a few feet away till I yelled his name. Even when I said his name my stomach erupted into a stampede of butterflies and my heart picked up it's pace.

"Adam!" I yelled again and he finally turned around.

I didn't stop, I ran till I felt his arms around me. I hugged him tight not daring to let go. I began to ramble apologies as I hid my face in his neck.

"Belle. It's okay, calm down." He grabbed my hand and pulled back so he could look at me. "You're soaking wet!"

I felt something warm wrap around my shoulders, but I kept talking.

"I'm sorry. I should've told you I had an arranged marriage, but whenever I was with you I just forgot about it. I just wanted to enjoy my time with you." I blabbered.

"Belle!" Grandma Maddie pulled me from Adam's arms and she hugged me reassuringly.

"Grandma, what do you do when you want to change who you were born to be?" I asked, the tears streaming down my face all over again.

"Belle... You can't change who you are." She whispered.I took in a deep breath and pulled away from her embrace. I felt my heart beat faster as I decided to build up my courage and take advantage of my opportunity. I walked to Adam and held his hands, embracing myself for what he might say in return to what I was going to tell him.

"Adam, I, um, I just wanted to say that first, my name is really Annabelle." He smiled at me. "And, that I, um, well... I love you."

"Lucky's baby girl is named Anna." It was my turn to smile. "I love you too Belle."

I hugged Adam tight, the streets were empty as the rain grew into a small storm. But there we were, in the middle of a storm, telling each other that we loved one another.