Chapter Three

I watched as Adam was in deep concentration. He ran a hand through his hair as he knitted his eyebrows together, then he began to write something on the side of the page. I noticed how cute he looked with his ruffled hair. I looked back at Grandma Maddie as she put Lucky on her bed.

"So, sorry if this sounds like a very noisy question, but why do you have a black cat?" I finally asked.

"Well, it's a long story," She laughed then looked over at Adam, "Actually, it isn't even my story to tell."

Adam looked at us and he shook his head.

"Grandma, I'm busy right now."

"It's his story?"Grandma Maddie nodded her head as she sighed.

She placed a hand over her heart.

"I'm sorry about my stubborn grandson, he's just... He's busy." She said in a sad tone.

"Grandma." Adam said in a warning tone.

"He love's me, but his silly book work is always first."

"Fine!" Adam stood up, forcing the chair back with a loud screech.

"I'll get more cookies!" Grandma Maddie stood up with a smile as she ran to get more cookies.

"She's one energetic elderly lady. Usually they would sit around all day complaining about their pain." I told Adam as he sat on the floor next to Lucky.

"Tell me about it." He laughed.

"Finally!" I exclaimed and Adam gave me a weird look.

"What?"

"You didn't sigh when you answered me this time."

Adam smiled at me. Grandma Maddie came in and we both took our cookies, each bite was savored.

"So," Adam begins, "it was a hot summer morning and I was wondering through the forest. I noticed a small noise not to far away and soon I came across Lucky here, she was just a kitten at that time and she was so skinny and scars cover her right leg. Feeling bad if I just ignored her, I fed the poor kitten my tuna sandwich then I walked on.

"Continuing through the forest, I stopped when I noticed the day began to darken as the sun began to set. So I decided that I should try to make a fire just for the fun of it, I wanted to test my fire skills." Adam took in a deep breath, "Then, I ended up falling asleep as I leaned against a tree. I remember feeling a few taps on my face, then someone began to lick me. I just pushed it all away and fell back asleep. Then I felt something pinch me really hard on my elbow. I woke up and first thing I noticed was a fire surrounding me. Then, Lucky, began tugging on my shirt. I got to my feet and she began to run around the paths the fire hadn't yet gotten to. I ran after her, and it wasn't long before I was breathing oxygen instead of fire fumes. So, ignoring her color, I took her home and she became my Lucky." Adam finished.

"Wow, black cats are clearly misunderstood." I smiled.

Adam smiled at me and I felt the butterflies in my stomach come alive. I laughed asGrandma Maddie snored, her head falling to the side as she slept.