Chapter 19

Tori pulled up at the side of the road, right in front of the site of the ocular. He parked the car where there was plenty of shade so the car wouldn't get too hot during the rest of the day. Dylan was not able to sleep on their way to the site, so the strong coffee that Ballsie made was very handy in keeping him awake for today's work. Dylan looked at his watch and they made it just on time, with actually a couple of minutes to spare. Tori opened the car door for him, and he stepped out with his sunglasses on. It was now midday and the sun had not been shy in showing its glorious, golden rays of sunshine. Dylan felt the surge of heat as he stepped out of the car, but he felt immediate relief as gusts of wind rustled the trees' leaves, giving him comfort amidst the hot weather. He was about to cross the road when Tori called out to him. 

"Sir, have fun at work today!" Tori said as he waved goodbye to him and blew him a kiss. "Sir, remember that I love you. Always and forever." Tori seriously looked at him while forming his hands with a heart sign. 

Dylan just had to roll his eyes. This had been a part of their daily morning routine and Dylan could not even remember how many times he had requested Tori to stop; alas, it all just fell on deaf ears. He just learned to appreciate how uniquely eccentric and expressive his loyal driver had become over the years he's been employed with him. He gave Tori a one hand salute and went on his way to the empty lot in front of him. 

Dylan looked straight ahead and noticed that Ken's red sports car was already parked in front, so he knew his friend was already there. Sure enough, Ken was already inspecting the plot of land. When he saw Dylan approached the vacant lot, he waved and called out to him excitedly. 

"Bro, what's up? Love the shades! Mr. Mendoza will be here shortly, so we've got time to check out the spot on our own. So, what do you think? It's definitely a prime lot. Look at the view! Mr. Mendoza must've done something right with his life to get a view like this! What a view of the Taal volcano, huh?" Ken said in one breath - such a typical reaction from him as he would normally get so riled up whenever they have a new, potential project together. 

"Yeah, this is nice. Well, it depends on what Mr. Mendoza wants, but we definitely can build a spacious house for him, maybe a landscaped backyard or even a pool. Is he here yet? What's taking him so long? He's five minutes late!" Dylan said impatiently as he took off his sunglasses and looked at his watch. Dylan knew that he really needed to do this ocular, but his mind was clearly somewhere else. He grew more and more agitated as the minutes passed by. 

"Bro, what's with you? You left work early yesterday and now it seems like you want to bolt out of here and the day just barely started. Wait, you're only like this when you meet a woman that you like. Don't tell me you've met someone?! Or better yet, is Olivia back that's why you've been so absent-minded lately?"

Before Dylan could even answer, a boisterous voice interrupted their conversation.  Both Dylan and Ken were greeted by a friendly pat in the back and a loud laugh by their prospective client, Mr. Matthew Mendoza. Dylan could just tell by the way Mr. Mendoza made an entrance, that his personality was larger than life. 

"Finally! Mr. Dylan Lim of DGL Architects! I've heard so much about you!" Mr. Mendoza greeted the both of them with firm handshakes. "I take it that you're Ken Tantongco? Damn, you guys are both so young, but I know you both are talented architects. I've only heard high praises from my friends who were previous clients of yours." 

"Thank you for the kind words, Sir. We really make sure we deliver our promises to our clients. That's why if you give us your trust and let us build your dream home, then you won't be disappointed, Mr. Mendoza." Dylan said as he returned the handshake with a firm grasp as well. 

"Yes, Sir. We are eager to start this project if you'll let us." Ken affirmed. 

"Well gentlemen, I will keep this short. This land, this dream home that I am building will be for sure a labor of love. I am building this home for my beloved wife, the love of my life, so this house will be an ode to her. I will only request one thing. I know you've seen the view. The Taal volcano is breathtaking, right? I will give you guys free rein on the design, the build - everything. Just please make this view the focal point of the house. I bought this plot of land because Taal reminds me of my wife. Small, but very dangerous when angered." Mr. Mendoza said with a hearty laugh. 

"Small, but very dangerous when angered."  Dylan let out a small chuckle when he heard the description.  He could only think of one person that perfectly fit the description. 

"So, I'll leave you guys to it. Present me the blueprint within a month and you guys get the deal." Mr. Mendoza broke Dylan's reverie. "I gotta go play golf now. Alright, Mr. Lim, Mr. Tantongco. Do we have an understanding?" 

"Yes, Sir." Dylan and Ken said in unison. 

Mr. Mendoza gave both of them a reassuring nod, but as soon as their conversation ended, he left as quickly as he arrived. Dylan and Ken just looked at each other with awe as the ocular went better than they expected. 

"Bro, we have to celebrate. Let's go to Antonio's? Or Leslie's?" 

"Ken, I have to take a rain check this time around. I owe you a lunch, but I gotta go home." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Tori, open up!" Dylan knocked on the driver's side window as Tori had fallen asleep. 

"Sir, you're done already?! So where to next? Lunch with cutie Sir Ken? Or are we driving straight to the office?" Tori said as he scratched his eye and opened the door for Dylan. 

Dylan got inside the car and immediately put on his seat belt. "Tori, none of the above. We're going home. Actually, before we head home, let's pick up some buko pie and tarts."

Tori gave him a very wide smile and teased, "Are the sweets for a certain someone? Someone we both know?" 

"Yes! For Nanay Sue... and Ballsie, but mainly for Nanay Sue," Dylan retorted in defense. 

"Ok, ok Sir Dylan. If you say so!" 

It was then Tori began singing. 

"Sweets for my sweet. Sugar for my honey.He winked at Dylan as he sang and drove off. 

"Tori, stop. Eyes on the road, please!" 

Dylan looked out the window with a certain feeling of lightness and excitement that he had not felt for a long time. As Tori navigated the busy Tagaytay highway, Dylan couldn't help but sing in silence the last song that got stuck in his head. 

"Sweets for my sweet. Sugar for my honey. I'll never ever let you go.