Chapter 15 - Freaking 507

Brief note:

53 - Pokkle
99 - Killua
191 - Bodoro
294 -Hanzo
301 - Gittarackur
503 - Leorio
504 - Kurapika
505 - Gon
506 - Mizuki Tokito
507 - Muzan Kibutsuji

________________________________

"Something still feels off." Menchi leaned back against the sofa, her back slightly bouncing against the cushion before she settled, crossing her legs.

"What feels off?" Buhara asked on her left, stuffing plenty of cakes into his mouth.

"407... I wasn't expecting him to score that high if you gave him so much chances in these battles." She pointed out.

"Now that you mentioned it..." Satotz's eyes landed on the specific number compressed between 405 and 53. "I presumed that he'd score excellently in his abilities but he had been rather inconspicuous throughout the entire exam."

As if he was avoiding attention to himself. Though, Satotz suspected that anyone keen enough could've used their critical thinking and deemed 507 was stronger than what he hoped to make them presumed of him.

'It seems 405 will face quite powerful opponents at the very start of this tournament.' He mused, picturing the huge level gap between the boy and two adults.

A pair of eyes trailed his gaze on the battle arrangements from behind lensed frame, moving from one number to another before he voiced his opinion.

"301 and 406 must've scored pretty high in their physical and mental abilities. You think they don't have that much potential to be Hunters?" Lippo finally pried his gaze away form the board.

"Ah, yes." Netero stroked his beard, rethinking back to the short interviews with two said applicants. "It seems that 301's reason to take the exam turns out to be closely related to his work purpose. Meanwhile, 406 just lacked the motivation and is still unsure of her direction in the Hunter association."

'I suspect that her unspoken reason to become a hunter is closely related to 407, but well, it's just a speculation.' Netero thought to himself, smiling.

________________________________

A board was pulled over to the center of their attention, veiled by a cloth. Ten applicants who've passed so far were called over to start the final phase.

"For the Final Phase, we will be holding a one-on-one tournament." The cloth was pulled and revealed the bracket for their battles to come, though their names were still concealed behind a tape. "One win is all you need to pass."

A round of 'eh's and 'oh's filled the applicants.

"The winners are removed from the competition, while losers continue up the bracket." He explained.

'One win is all. One person will fail.' Mizuki mentally remind herself, relieved of the simplicity of the final phase.

"And here is the bracket." Netero pulled the tape from the board, finally revealing their arrangements.

Several pair of eyes settled on the board, carefully analyzing the battles that they're about to face and also did not missed the chance of prying into other battles that weren't theirs. Some of them were truly wary of the other applicants that might have a higher chance of failing other than themselves.

Mizuki looked attentively into the numbers placed in order before she finally found hers at almost the far end of the list, squeezed between 301 and 191. So, if either Kurapika or Hisoka defeats 191 (and that's a certainty because so far, Mizuki did not see any upstanding performance from that old man), she'll be the one to fight the geezer and victory already seemed guaranteed.