【13】

I shrieked, eyes wide in terror as somebody with an old-fashioned welding mask came over me. The bright lights on the ceiling blinded me with whiteness. As I tried to get myself away from whatever was about to happen, I realized I was strapped down again. And the worst of it all; something was also holding my head down. Something different than I ever saw before. Something about it looked familiar though.

It's just another method of torture, I told myself, facing the cold, hard truth.

I choked on my own saliva as I screamed some more when I heard a metallic drilling sound.

The man standing above me was wearing a thick, large grey jumpsuit and black gloves. I couldn't see a thing through his welding mask. Even through the line of see-through plastic at the top, all I could see was blackness. Not his eyes, just plain darkness. Almost as if he weren't human.

Nobody in this place is human. They're all torturers. How can people live with the fact that they've tortured innocent people?

My heart skipped a beat when I noticed where the drilling sound was coming from. As he slowly lifted his right arm up into the air, I could see his hand. Through my blurry, foggy eyesight, I made out a large, old-looking drill in his hand. Not the kind of drills made to drill in nails. Not at all that kind of drill.

I screamed once again, squirming in all directions. Except with every move I made, the thing that was holding my head in place got tighter. So much pressure was on my skull that I felt it would explode.

"Is she giving you trouble?" A muffled voice asked. This voice was a female.

I watched as somebody else appeared behind the man.

Nurse Elizabeth! My thoughts told me, my memory snapping back into place. But I thought I locked her in the room.

The man wearing the welding mask tilted his head without a word and stepped to the right side of the bed while the nurse stepped on the left.

She hovered over me and slowly took something out of her pocket. "This will help you, Katie." she spoke slowly as if every word was a fact. "It's for your own good."

I shook my head violently as I noticed Elizabeth pulling out the needle from her pocket. The same one as the other day. The same one that she accidently stabbed herself with. "NO! You-you can't do this! I-I'm not INSANE!" I screamed, my heart wanting to spring out of my own chest. "I-I'm not insane! I'm not crazy! L-Let me go! PLEASE!"

As I expected, nobody listened. On Elizabeth's expression was a straight face. A face that you'd see on a worker working in a supermarket. A face telling a story. A terrible story. These people did this everyday to the patients. And they don't care. Not one bit.

Suddenly, I felt a prick in my arm. But before I could look down and scream some more, the drill started getting louder and louder.

I shook my head, my vision getting fuzzy as I slipped in and out of consciousness. There was nothing I could do about it.

The man lowered the drill to my head, except I didn't know what happened after that. Because everything went bright white. Not black, but bright white.

I sprang up, gasping. From under me, my back ached. My breathing was uneven and deep. I felt a chill but at the same time, my palms were damp with sweat. I tried to stabilize my breathing as I glanced around at my surroundings.

I was on a normal hospital bed, the ones in regular hospitals. I had a hospital gown on, and on my right wrist was a bracelet with my name on it. From next to me, a heart monitor beeped quickly, showing my rapid heartbeat.