Fish n' Livers

"The food isn't that bad."

"Your eating liver right now." 

"You get a taste for it when you're older." He stabbed the fork into a couple of sliced onions.

She shook her head. "That won't help your case if you ordered that for me."

"Didn't I tell you to trust me?"

"Yeah. Would've been nicer if you let me pick what I wanted. You know, like normal people do."

"It's more fun when it's a surprise. You can have some of mine while you're waiting."

"No thank you." She was quickly regretting this idea. If liver was his idea of good food, she'd hate to see what else he finds delicious. Not even her family ate that sort of stuff. 

"Guess you'd have to be raised here to understand. Not spoiled up their in lust."

"Spoiled?" She laughed. "You look more spoiled than me. Everyone cheers for you."

"Because they know how great I am. Was born and raised here."

"Really? Where do you live?"

"Er outside of town." He looked up and washed over with relief. "Your foods coming over."

She turned her head to the kind lady walking over. Her heart sunk and her stomach twisted. "Fish?"

"Deep fried catfish, it's one of the best things here along with green fried tomatoes."

"Thank you." She smiled nicely to the lady until she walked away. "You seriously eat this?" She picked up her knife and sliced it open.

"I promise you it's good."

"Well, I used to eat fried tomatoes." She mumbled taking a bite. Her stomach almost turned itself inside out, trying to reject it.

"You don't like it?"

"Oh my god." She grabbed a napkin and spit into it. "There's something wrong with it."

"More for me." He slid the plate over. "You folks over at lust probably eat a bunch of junk. Don't know good food." He picked up a piece of it and happily took a bite. His face froze for a moment as the unknown flavor lingered. "The fuck."

A smile crept up her face and soon grew into loud laughter. "You should see your face." She giggled. He turned to an empty booth beside them and grabbed a dirty cup to spit in. "Come on cowboy. Show me how a real man eats catfish." She teased.

He continued to try and rid the awful taste. He grabbed a cup of water and swished it in his mouth before spitting it back. "Can it." He set the cup back to the other table.

"So far I'm not feeling so romanced. Unless you consider the growing nausea "butterflies"."

"I'm not done."

"I know you're not," She pointed down. "You have another piece of fish to finish."

He glanced at the plate and scrunched his nose. Forget it. He moved the plate behind them. "I'll get you something else. Sorry. I've never had bad fish here."

"Don't worry about it. That small piece killed any appetite I had." She picked apart the green fried tomatoes. "But I do like this." She took a small bite to humor him.

"Suppose you wouldn't want any of this." He motioned at his plate full of greasy liver. 

"Are you trying to make me throw up?"

He stifled a laugh. "Yeah, that's what I thought."

She leaned back in her chair and took everything in. It was a quaint little bar and diner. Not too busy considering everyone was outside still enjoying the festivities. The back wall held a couple family photos. She squinted her eyes reading the bottom name. "The Wilson's own this?"

"Old mans youngest son does. Used to be a storage for the mill until six years ago."

"Huh."

"You know them?"

"I've heard of them." She turned her head. "So Striker, what's your next great idea?"

"What's your thoughts on walking through town together? I haven't had a chance to check out the games."

"Actually I'd like that a lot."

"Enough to get you heated?" He smirked.

"Nice try. You'll have to put in a lot more effort than that."

"Don't worry, I'm great at games. I'll get you some things."

"Oh gifts? Obviously that'll make a girl swoon."

"You haven't been given the right gifts until now." He winked.

"Oh god that was awful." She shook her head. "I think I might actually be sick." He stood up and tossed some money down. "Let's go." She turned around and raised an eyebrow. "What about your food?" 

"Fish killed it, come- stop looking at me like that." He rolled his eyes while she snickered behind him. "I get it, it was a bad idea." They walked into the middle of the road and gazed around them. "Any games you want to see?" 

"I think you'd look nice in a dunk tank." She teased. "That tongue of yours" He shook his head. "You like a man all drenched and wet?" 

"Some, but I miss watching idiots fall in, especially if I'm throwing the ball." 

He stared at her for a few seconds and pursed his lips. "We're doing darts." 

"Whatever." She strolled past him and spun around. "It's just another game to beat you at." She gave him a wink and headed down the road.