The Date Not Date

She slid down from the horse, clinging to her camera bag. Dust kicked up in the air as he jumped off. "Well," She gazed at the area around them. "You're getting better." She patted his back.

"I told you I'd find you a river."

"It's nice.....if only," She let out a dramatic sigh. 

"If only what?" He tugged on the reigns and led the horse over to the river. The horse flopped down and started to drink the water while Striker rubbed its head.

"Hm? Oh nothing. I was just remembering all the fun times I had horse riding." It was a small hint but she knew he'd get it. He spun around. "Absolutely not." A cowboy's horse was practically the equivalent to a man's vehicle and like most, they aren't too thrilled with the idea of letting anyone ride it. He slipped his hands into his pockets and towered over her. "Sorry to burst your bubble babes but no one rides Bombproof."

She took a quick exhale, blowing air into his face. "Bombproof?" She laughed. "What kind of name is that?"

"Are you seriously judging my name for em? You're one to talk, y/n." He gave her a quick flick to the forehead.

"Oh really? Don't make me bring up your name." She walked past him and started to unzip her bag. She continued to sort through the lenses. "And if my names so funny, why are you spending your time with me hmm? Don't have friends or something?"

"Psh. I have enough friends."

"Bombproof doesn't count and neither do I." She sat down by Bombproof and popped off the lid. Her fingers carefully twisted off the original lens and screwed the new one back on. "Okay, then what are you?" He sat down beside her. He grabbed a pebble and rubbed his thumb over it, staring off into the water. "Ha." She laughed. "I, am simply...hmmm. I'm not a friend but not an acquaintance either. I'm..." She thought to herself long and hard. Was there a word for friends but not true friends? "I'm a great conversationalist and someone who keeps you company."

"Tch. Right." He gave a hard throw and she looked up. Water flew up into the air and rained back down on the river. "What did you do?"

"I missed is what I did." He leaned over and grabbed a pile of rocks. "Sometimes depends on the rock and the weight of it."

"To do what?"

"You've never skipped rocks?"

"Skipped what?"

He tilted his head. "Here," He turned to his side and tossed a rock across the water. As the rock skipped, it paved a way through the water before sinking down. "Huh, can you do that again?" Y/n turned on her camera and pointed it at the water.

"Ain't no way you're gonna catch that on there."

"That sounds like a man who can't skip a rock twice to me." His shoulders slouched down and he shook his head. "Go on," She smirked. "Be competitive. Don't you want to prove me wrong?"

"Y'know not everything is a competition."

"You hear that everyone?!" She shouted out. "Striker admits he can't skip a rock."

"You're a fucking child." His tail rattled as he stood up. "Hope your camera can keep up."

In seconds the shutter on her camera ticked hundreds of times. "What's that?" He leaned over and stared at the camera. "It's a bit of a cheat, but I can take a hundred pictures while I'm focusing on the rock. Guaranteed to have one good picture."

"Isn't that going to mess with your other pictures?"

"Oh no this is a new card. Thought it'd be nice to take pictures of here before I have to go back. So where's this hot spot you were talking about?"