A New Start

"Hey, you hear that?"

She opened her eyes. They felt so heavy and the softness in his voice wasn't helping. "Hear what?" She mumbled. Her ears perked up but no sound could be heard.

"Storms over. We'll be alright now." Her eye peeked open and the first thing she noticed was his jacket was now on her. Then her eyes focused and she realized she wasn't laying beside the horse anymore. He kept his back to the outside, blocking all the weather from her. She nuzzled her head closer to him. "Two more minutes?" She pulled on the jacket and wrapped it around her tighter. Despite her request, he stood up and steadied her in his arms. "Sun isn't down yet, still got plenty of time to turn this around." She scrunched her nose, missing the warmth that she was crouched in. He sat her back down and guided the horse out. "You know, you've been doing an awful lot of what you want and so far I haven't felt thrilled."

He stopped for a moment and seemed almost irritated. "Fine. Got anything that won't go wrong?" He grumbled.

"Unless you're gonna be like this then yes." She tossed his jacket back over to him and climbed up on the horse. "You-" She paused and noticed her arm was wrapped up in cloth. "Huh." She turned back to him. "You know this place right?"

"Pfft. Course I do." He slipped his arms through his jacket's sleeves and jumped up. "Ain't need no map for this circle."

"Where's the watch tower?"

"The watc-Missy we got quite a few-"

"Take me to the one by the waterfalls." He turned his head confused. "Please? I forget the name of it but it had a waterfall and a cave with pictures and the tower was old but it's still there right?"

"Y/n, I don't know what tower you're referring to."

"You have to, you've been bragging all day to me about how you know this place like the back of your hand."

"And I'm telling you it don't exist. You're telling me this'll warm you up?"

"No but-"

"Then why would I take you there?"

"You like proving things, prove to me you're not a heartless jackass that loves only attention."

He scrunched his nose and pursed his lips. "Even if I could I've never heard of a place like that and I grew up here." Her brain began to scramble for any details she could remember. "I'll just take you home. Tornado mighta got to a few houses anyway. Folks will need help fixin up things. We can call it off, you win." He whipped the horse and started fast tracking it to town. "What's so special about this tower anyway?"

"Left something there. It wasn't too far from my aunts home either. Had to cross some beaten up bridge deep in the woods and I think the Olerk Creek."

"Does the waterfall lead to the creek?"

"I think so."

"C'mon, I know where that is." He changed directions and headed east.

To her surprise once they got there, he seemed excited to hike up the creek. He tied the horse and off they went climbing over the rocky terrain. Up ahead there was the woods and lots of brush. The details she saw in front of them started to piece together.

"Where you going?" He watched as she ran off.

"I know where it is, come on!!" For once during this awful day she could feel herself beaming. It didn't take too long for him to catch up. "It better be near."

"Two miles. Don't worry if you can't keep up." She glanced over with a grin. "I know how you people are without your horses."

"Oh really? I was hoping you'd move faster. Was trying to stay down to your speed."