Chapter Nine

Lost

Chase didn't know what happened. He didn't know how he got there. He was lying in the freshly cut grass of Lockwood house. He sat up, holding his head. It was dark, and the party was still going on. He didn't know how long he was out for.

His throat hurt like hell. There was smudged blood on his fingers and shirt. He stood and almost fell over. His head was spinning. He didn't understand anything. The last thing he remembered was running away from that dining hall.

He walked into one of the bathrooms. The moment he looked at himself in the mirror he knew he was screwed. Something terrible had happened to him, he just couldn't remember it.

There was blood droplets stains on his shirt and jacket. And a bite mark on his right wrist. And the worst was the bruise around his neck. A hand print was red and purple around his neck. It was the most evident.

Chase started to breathe heavily. He nervously and hastily tried to wash the blood of his hands. His hands trembled involuntarily. He was failing to keep together.
Just then the door opened again and Elena walked in. Her eyes widened when she saw him.

"Oh my God! Chase... Are you okay?"

Her voice cracked at the end. Her eyes simultaneously filled with concern and fear.
She stood in front of him, with hands on either side of him. Chase failed make eye contact with her, his breathing was ragged and trembled all over.

Elena tried to examine the bruise around his neck. But he swatted her hands away.

"God, Chase! Who did this? Is it Damon? Did he do this?"

"No, no, I don't know. I- I- I don't know."

Chase was shaking but he kept trying to wash the blood off of the sleeve of his jacket. That's when Elena saw the bite mark on his wrist. Her eyes widened and breath hitched.

"Give me your hand..." Elena grabbed his hand and pushed the sleeves up.

Tears were running down his face in streams. He could barely stand, his head grew dizzier by minute. He leaned against the counter in an attempt to stand straight.

"I don't know who did this. It's...i don't remember. I can't - I can't remember."

Chase talked rapidly. Elena nodded, trying to stay calm. She looked at him held his shoulders steady.

"Chase, it's okay. I'm going to take you home now. Then we'll decide what to do. Okay?"

Elena spoke each word carefully, making sure he understood what she was saying.

"...okay..."

Elena couldn't drive, no matter how much she wanted to, she couldn't bring herself to get into the driver's seat. So she called the one person she could count on. Yes she was mad at him but he wouldn't decline to help Chase.

Stefan met Elena and Chase just outside the house. His face mirrored the shocked expression Elena had when she walked into the bathroom.

"Why? What happened to him?" Stefan came closer and saw the bruising on his neck.

"He doesn't remember. But that's not the point. I have to get him home. Can you drive us to my place?"

"Yeah, of course."

Chase sat in the backseat along with Elena, unable to control his shaking hands or tears. He kept trying to remember what happened to him, but the alcohol made his head hurt. The pain in his neck felt like someone had strangled him with iron chains.