Chapter Twelve

TW : mentions of Alchoholism

The other one

From the age of four, all Chase has ever known is loneliness. Crippling, unrelenting loneliness. It stretched from the empty echoes of his bedroom to the hallways and to the void that was his parents' presense. Then came a time when he started to find comfort in his solitude. But it became burdening after a while and so the drinking begun.

Chase tried. He really did. He tried to stop drinking, to remain sober, to be better but it led to nothing. His solemn mind offered no comfort. It didn't bury the truth that he had murdered Vicki Donovan. Matt thinks his sister has left town, so does Jeremy. They will never know what happened to her. Guilt ate at his conscience.

Chase drank and drank until he was slipping in aand out of sleep. Whenever he thought his head was clearing up, he drank again. He was horrible and repulsive and he hated himself but he couldn't stop.

Right after coming home from the station, he started throwing up his guts in the bathroom. The sheriff probably noticed how odd he was acting, he was actually just trying to seem sober. After emptying his stomach, he stumbled back into his room almost collapsing on his bed. His head was killing him and his whole body was heating up, as if hinting at a fever. But Chase knew better than that.

Chase lied down, staring at the celing, his eyes drooping. But the sudden ring of his phone startled him, breaking the spell. He fumbled for it and with some effort found it tangled up in his sheets.

"Hello?" Chase mumbled, slurring a little.

"Chase? It's Elena. Where are you?"

Chase barely registered her voice.

"I don't... know. H-home, I think?" He answered, swallowing hard.

"Chase, focus. Don't scare me now! Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine." Chase replied, blinking away sleep. "I'm fine." He repeated, more to himself.

"Okay, then. Come over."

"What?" Chase asked, sounding confused.

Elena sighed in the other end.

"Just come over. I need to see you. Okay?"

Chase sighed, searching his hazy mind for excuses. But he couldn't find any. Also there was a distant acknowledgement that Elena needed him now. Although he wasn't much use to her, or anyone, at the moment.

"Fine. Give me 20, okay?" He whispered into the phone and hung up before the response came.

It was a struggle to drag his feet to the bathroom. Without giving it much thought, he turned on the shower, the cold water hit him like a wall of bricks, instantly sobering him up. He let the water cascade over him for a long time, hoping it wwould wash away the heavy burden if gulit that stuck to every speck of his skin.

Suddenly he was very thirsty, drowning a whole bottle of water in one go. He. Took his time, getting into the car, starting the engine, contemplating his existence and the pointlessness of his whole life. Surely it wasn't helping his current state at all. He could stay there a bit more, bathing in self loathing, but he had to meet Elena.