Chapter Two

Not So Stranger

Ever so often, Chase finds himself in some complicated positions. Figuratively and literally.

He had rushed out of the grill feeling like every inch of his being was on fire. His heart was beating out of his chest, he was trembling but not with cold.

But now he was standing rooted to the spot, staring into the most beautiful blue eyes he had ever seen. He was barely breathing and he couldn't looked away. The stranger made no move to step away either.

"I'm...so sorry." Chase breathed out. He shook himself out of the daze and realized the guy in front of him, saved him from a potential panic attack. He took a step back.

"No worries." the stranger said in a smooth voice. His eyes were fixated on Chase, it made him feel...some type of a way.

"Are you alright? You look a bit shaken up."

Chase made an effort to smile.

"I'm fine." He answered out if habit.

"I don't think I've seen you around before." Chase said watching the older man carefully. He was hit with an intense feeling of deja vu but he pushed it down.

" I'm Damon. I'm kind of an old resident, haven't been around for a while."

"So you're visiting?"

"Oh I'm gonna be here for a while. Need to rekindle some old friendships and possibly make a few new ones."
Damon smirked.

"Well then I guess we'll be bumping into each other a lot more often." Chase matched his tone.

"I'd like that." Damon said.

They were distracted by some voice coming from the entrance of the grill. Chase saw Elena and Stefan coming out of there, when he turned back to look at his new acquaintance, he was gone.

"What the..." He muttered under his breath and looked around but seems like the man in front of him disappeared into thin air.

"Hey Chase..." he heard Elena's voice and turned around. She walked towards him with a worried look.

"Are you okay?" she asked coming to stand in front of him.

"Yeah I'm fine." He answered and touched her shoulder reassuringly. Stefan was also next to her.

"Who were you talking to?" Stefan asked, he tried to keep his voice neutral but Chase could sense some panic in it.

"I don't know, I just bumped into him. Said he's visiting some friends." Chase shrugged.

"Did he say a name or something?" Stefan pressed, earning a look from Elena.

"Damon. He said his name is Damon."

Chase couldn't decipher the look that passed on Stefan's. He tried to play it cool.

"You guys need a ride?" Chase asked cutting through the tension.

"Yes, actually, Stefan?" Elena turned to face the Salvatore, who had a faraway look on his face.

"No, thank you...you guys go ahead." He said, clearly wanting to be alone.

"You sure?" Elena asked. Stefan nodded. He gave Chase a tight lipped smile.

"Alright then, see you at school." Chase said and Stefan nodded.

He watched as Chase and Elena got into the car and drove away.

Chase was silent. Too silent. By this point he should've made at least a dozen jokes about Stefan and Elena. Elena glanced over at the boy.