Chapter 1- It's all over

Lily POV

I was lying in a bed, an irritating beeping noise drowning my ears, my eyes squeezed shut, whilst straining to hear the voices. The smell of bandages and antiseptics filled the air. Over the buzz in my head, I could just about hear my mum talking to someone.

"Lily, are you there?" a voice spoke softly from beside me. It was Zach. I tried to form a yes, but my body seemed to be on shutdown mode. Instead, I tuned into my mother's conversation with the doctor.

"-wound was deep, but we hope the surgery worked. I don't know if or when she will wake up. It's hard to guess, as each patient is different. All we can do is hope."

Surgery. I've already had surgery. My mind raced, trying to work out what had happened. The words of the doctors resonated in my mind. Then questions came. How long had I been unconscious? The last thing I remember was walking home. Sharp pains shot through my chest. I tried calling for help, opening my eyes, anything to get attention. But to no avail. Suddenly, a hand grabbed mine, pulling me from my thoughts.

"Hey, sweetie," it was my mum. I missed her. "I don't know if you can hear me, but I-I love you so much. You're going to be okay, sweetie. We'll find them. I promise. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Sobs escaped her.

"Ms. Smith, could I talk to you outside, please?" I'm assuming the doctor called as my mum stood up and left, leaving me alone with Zach.

"Hi- I don't know what to say, Lily. I love you. More than you'll ever know. I love you so fucking much Lily." He pauses. "I don't want to say this, but- I have to. Lily, I- I-"My chest screamed, ears ringing, drowning out everything else. Then silence. "I'm sorry I killed you." The monitor went flat.