Chapter 2- Why?

Josh POV

Run. Run. Run. Why would you do that? Why would you ignore her? She told not to do it. UGH! You're such an idiot. He's going to hate you! She would hate you! What is wrong with you?

My phone turned restless in my hands, thoughts racing through my mind. The phone slowed, lighting up at my touch. Hovering above her name, I hesitated. It was now or never. I pressed it.

"This is the 02 messaging service. The person you are trying to reach is unable to take your call right now. Please try again later. If you would like-" My phone landed on the many covers of my bed.

"FUCK!" suddenly pacing, my mind praying for the best. God, I'm such an idiot! She can't d- No. she'll live. Why would I listen to her? I was supposed to help her, not listen to her. I am never drinking again. Not if it led to this. I reach for my phone, calling again.

"This is the 02 messaging-"

Again.

"This is the 02-"

Again.

"This is-"

Again.

"This-"

Anger fueled. I dialed the other number. His number.

"Where is she?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"With me." I didn't believe him.

"Where are you?" I needed to know if she was okay.

"At the- hospital-" what?! No. She can't. No. No. No.

"Is she okay? Are you okay?" I asked rapidly, adding the last bit to not seem suspicious.

"I'm- okay, She- She got- stabbed-" everything stopped. Fuck. I caused this. All because I had a drink.

"Is She Okay?" I asked again, my teeth gritted.

"No," it came as a whisper, "She's in a coma. They don't think she'll make it..." he trailed off.

"I'm sorry," I muttered before hanging up.

No. This can't be true. Silence engulfed me as I sunk on my bed, staring at the photo hung above my desk. We were happy then. The three of us. We didn't have a care in the world. Our biggest problem was winning the next game of monopoly.

"Come back!" her angelic laugh called as I moodily stropped off.

"Yeah, stop being such a sore loser," he laughed, hugging her from behind.

"It's not my fault you were ganging up on me!" I huffed, making my way back to where they were sat on the beanbags surrounding a monopoly board on the floor of my room.

"Then get better at monopoly," he replies, still laughing.

"I don't even like monopoly, you and your stupid girlfriend made me play this-"

"Oh boo-hoo, grow up," she interrupted, laughing into his chest.

"I hate this." I concluded, picking up the Xbox controllers and handing one to each of them. "I will beat you at this, though."

God. I missed that. Why did I have to mess up? What if she doesn't make it? The doctors don't think she will. She's in a fucking coma because of it. I didn't notice I was crying until I tasted the salt on my tongue. I don't know how long I sat there, my eyes never leaving the photo, before my dad opened the door, eyes red.

"She didn't make it."