Chapter 4

Valerie

     The pick-up line at Zoe's school crept much slower than normal as I waited to get my Munchkin. With the extra time, I organized my agenda for the week in regards to the Clarke case. It was already decided to break everything down on a six month basis but this case was not the straightforward type. My typical case was to determine if embezzlement took place, this one came with the addition of finding out the who. It was complex and to be honest I loved the complex. When Zoe came into view I dropped my phone and waited for our turn.

“Hi baby, how was your day?” I asked after thanking the teacher's assistant who buckled Zoe in and shut the door.

“I had a good day! We did our ABC's and Miss Debbie said that we might get to start a garden for the whole school!” she beamed with excitement.

“Really? Oh I am so jealous,” I said as we made our way home. “Did you tell her about all our plants at home?”

“Yeah. Miss Debbie said that if we get to make a garden that I might get to be a team leader. She put a note in my bookbag but I can't read it”.

The drop in her voice caught my attention, through the rearview I witnessed as her mouth turned down and her eyes gained an added sheen. “Do not worry Munchkin, she will read it to you”.

“Okay. Is she home?”

“Yes, baby”. She bounced in her seat as we turned onto our street. I parked and went around to Zoe's side to retrieve her. She, being a polite child, thanked me before we entered the front door. “Mon amie, we are home!” I yelled into the house.

“Coming!” a gentle voice bounded from the staircase moments before Raelle made her appearance. “Hi love's,” she kissed my cheek then scooped Zoe into her arms and squeezed her. Zoe squealed and hugged her neck. “How was your day baby?”

“It was great! Will you get Miss Debbie's note, please?” she asked me.

“Miss Debbie wrote a note?” her brows knitted together. “Did something bad happen?”

“No silly,” Zoe shook her head, “it's about a garden”.

“Oh. You're right, I was being silly”.

I found the note in her bookbag, “Will you?” I asked Raelle as she returned Zoe to her feet.

“Yeah.” She cleared her throat with exaggeration, this was official after all. “'Dear Zoe's Moms'—oh boy, well this oughta be good—,” Raelle and I smirked at each other and laughed, she then proceeded with an eye roll. “'Zoe has informed me that you two have quite the green thumbs. If this is accurate, I would greatly appreciate your input on a possible garden project for the school. Though it is not set in stone, the other kindergarten teachers and I have approached the school board about having the children create and maintain a flower garden for each class. The school board likes the idea as long as parents are also in agreement and those with the know-how are willing to pitch in. If this is something your family is interested in, please sign the volunteer sheet at the front desk at your earliest convenience. Warm regards, Miss Debbie Frazier'.”

I looked to Raelle, “Well, mari (hubby), what do you think?”

“Why aren't you hubby?”

I raised a brow, “Really?” I deadpanned.

She paused for a moment then relented, “Fine, I'll be hubby”. Zoe lost it, the girl laughed so hard I swore a cackle escaped as tears rolled down her cheeks. “Traitor,” my new hubs shot at her.

“Funny is funny, do not blame her. Anyway, want to volunteer for the garden?” Zoe stopped laughing and peered through her lashes.

Raelle lowered to her knees to be more at Zoe's level. “Baby I would love to help you and Miss Debbie with the garden project but I don't know if I can. Let me talk to her and get some more information before I give you an answer. I don't want to lie, even by accident. Okay?”