Chapter 2

Valerie

I rolled over to hit snooze then caught myself, I can not hit snooze because adulting says so. Six in the morning is an ungodly time but needs must. A slur of crudeness tumbled over my tongue as I stretched, put on my robe, and made my way to sanity-the coffee maker. The blue light came on and I heard the water start to move through the machine before I dragged myself to the shower. The hot water did its part in waking me up enough to function but not to think, so I left the sage green tiled sanctuary and went back to get myself a steaming cup of coffee. Just before the mug met my lips, my phone rang.

"Good morning Miss Judy".

"Good morning Miss Delacroix," an aged, sweetly raspy voice greeted.

"Judy, we have been over this," I sighed then allowed myself the first sip of sweetened black coffee.

"Yes, yes I know. Only call you that in front of clients. Can you really blame an old woman for old habits? Besides, I happen to like your surname".

"Fine," I relented, "but you are not old and I do not want to hear that nonsense again".

"Yes Miss Delacroix," she laughed. "Anyway, Christina Clarke personally called to confirm the new meeting time that you requested, seems that it works better with her day so it's a win-win. She also said that you're in her schedule as Valerie Smith, the standard spelling, and you're a friend from her old neighborhood. Have I mentioned that I love this job, it's like working for a spy!"

"Should we think of code names?" I whispered into the phone.

"Only if mine is something beautiful and deadly, otherwise no thank you".

"What am I, new?" I joked then caught the time on the stove. "Hey I have to get Zoe up and ready for school, is there anything else I need to know for today?"

"I believe that's it. Give the Munchkin my love. Have a good day, Miss".

"Consider it done, hope you have a good day too. Bye". I crept upstairs and woke Zoe, being careful not to disturb the exhausted chef in the next room.

As I sat outside the school in the drop-off lane, I listened to Zoe talk about everything and nothing. We landed on the topic of her being invited to a birthday party for her best friend, now we were in quite the predicament because Munchkin simply must pick out the perfect present. More coffee came from my travel mug than intended and I had to jerk forward to keep it from spilling on my shirt.

"Enfoiré (Motherfucker)!" I groaned then heard a sigh come from the backseat. "Ma enfant chérie (My darling child), I apologize". Bright blue eyes met mine through the rearview mirror.

"It's okay, it was a accident," Zoe smiled at me.

"Thank you sweetheart". The long line of cars started moving ahead of us. "Do you have everything you need for today?"

"All set," she beamed and started to fiddle with her seatbelt as we moved forward. "Are you picking me up?"

"Yeah Munchkin, I will be here when you are done".

"What are you doing today?" she asked as she adjusted her raven-hued braided pigtails.

"I have one of my secret meetings, when we get home I will tell you all about it".

She hopped excitedly in her seat as we pulled up to the drop off spot. "Have a good day".

"You too chérie (darling)," I waved as she got out and I checked the backseat to make sure she did not forget anything. Upon seeing that it was clear, I drove off for my meeting downtown.