Chapter 9

Gabriel

     The clock rang long ago, voting was officially closed, the tally's were counted then counted again, the results came in and finalized: we're having waffles! It's a great political issue but the people will not be quieted. As they demanded, I mixed the batter for our waffles while Ma chopped various fruits before she poached the eggs to go on top of the crispy, golden brown, pocketed pancakes. In tune with countless Sundays before, my brothers sorely crashed and burned in their poor attempts to steal food while we cooked. What made our Sunday different was Liam's absence. The house lacked his gruff chuckle and sly wit.

     It wasn't uncommon for one of us to not be available for brunch with Ma; in fact two of us would be missing next Sunday. We strived to avoid it but sometimes there was nothing to be done so we'd miss out in order to handle other obligations instead of attending family day. Ma didn't enjoy it but she never held a grudge against us. Given everything and the crushing reason behind it, this brunch possessed an odd coldness. Liam never missed a Sunday at Ma's and with the knowledge he missed this one because he tortured himself made it so much worse. More cooking spray and batter coated the dual waffle iron as my thoughts were consumed with the plight of my eldest brother. None of us spoke of it but I knew we each ordered flowers to be delivered to Holly's grave, it's a tradition we continued annually since she died. She was a great person and we missed her in our own way.

     When the cooking finished, Ma called out for the others to set the table. We carried food into the dining room and took our respective seats. Ma said grace but added in a little something about helping those with long-term grief and unjust guilt. After 'amen,' we passed her plates before making our own. We were stuffed and satisfied but silent, I guess we allowed our minds to wander elsewhere.

“Boys I'm dealing with it too. We continue to grieve for Liam and we miss Holly. Unfortunately, not a single thing can be done about it. As much as I'd love for my son to be his old self again, it simply isn't going to happen. Same as how I can never go back to how I was before Michael died. The only thing we can do is move forward and hope your brother tries to come along with us,” Ma finished with strength. My brothers and I maintained our silence to mull over what she said to us. “Ya-ya went first last week so you're up Henry,” she said to kick off the download and change the mood. As Henry opened his mouth, the doorbell rang. My brother's and I sprang to our feet, we gave each other a quick nod then Henry and Rick left to answer the door while Jarek, Tyr and I waited on our feet in the dining room.

“It's Doc Z,” Rick yelled through the house, “and he has guests”. Those of us around the table looked at Ma, she answered our unuttered question with a shrug.

“Hello boys,” Doc Z greeted us before he made his way to Ma, “good morning Rose. Sorry I'm late,” he kissed her cheek then saw my brothers and I were still on alert, our attention fixated on the entry point. “At ease, men,” he let out a quiet laugh before Henry and Rick came into the room. “I hope you don't mind, I hired a trainer and then forgot they'd be done today,” he pointed to the two orange and white fluff balls my brothers carried into the room.

“Goodness no, I don't mind,” Ma gushed as she ignored us to pet the puppies. Their whole bodies shook from excitement as pink tongues came out to kiss her. “Give'em here,” she told Henry and Rick, who knew better than to argue with her, especially when animals were involved. “Zade they're adorable, why didn't you tell me you were getting puppies?" She reclaimed her seat and my brothers followed suit.

“You hungry?” I asked and offered him a clean plate.

“Famished, thanks Gabriel,” he served himself as we presented him with various dishes, Henry received a nod of gratitude when he brought him a fresh mug of coffee. “William at the cemetery?” he didn't take his focus away from the food.