ep. 5

jonathan davis' pov

a few awkward "hey." that's how many interactions we've had all week, no more. it's not like we met that often, because he always leaves for work earlier. however, he was unlucky the other day, because he was hurrying out of the house when i was on my way to work. i strongly suspected that he was late, so i offered to take him. but he began to protest. i didn't even have time to convince him, he left me so quickly. as if he was running away from me. i don’t quite understand his behavior, especially since he was the one who wanted it between the us. i don't think it’s because i hurt him so much. maybe he just took it too seriously when i said i'm not looking for the kind of relationship he had in mind. if we look at it from this point of view then his behavior is justified, because how should he behave? if i said no, i said no. anyway, i really should be happy that he doesn't try to force anything on me, that he respects my decision. many people that are sick in the head live in this block of flats, maybe the place drove them crazy, maybe it’s the place that attracts strange figures... but many people can be very violent if they don't get something. i'll never forget when a group of junkies tried to sell me some flower pots as i hurried up the stairs. i tried my best explaining i don’t need fucking flower pots but they wouldn’t let me go. they begged me to buy them, they even cried. after a 15-minute verbal battle, they started threatening and shouting. i don't know if they really had any weapon, but one of them liked to say that he could turn the knife in his pocket against me at any time. i don't even remember how i managed to get rid of them, maybe the arrival of another resident disturbed the "communication", as a result of which they ran away, leaving me alone. some people really believe  that if the police rarely come, then anything is allowed. nobody dares to call the police here because everyone has something to hide. and those who just try to live a normal life want to stay out of these things 100%. it wasn’t just once when i could have notified the authorities, but i preferred not to, because that would have resulted in bloody revenge against me. is it tiring to keep our mouth shut and being absolutely suffocated? maybe it would be if i wasn't used to it. we have to learn to adapt, even if we would rather fight. in my own interests, i sometimes do that too. i took a big drag from my dwindling cigarette, then scattered the ashes on the carpet. the owner came this week and said he was going to raise the rent. the bastard charged almost $20 more for no reason. in fact, i'm basically the quietest resident, i've never received a complaint. on the way out he spotted my pack of cigarette and warned me not to smoke in here. maybe the rent won't be cheaper because of this, but it's good for my soul, because i know he'll be pissed off. and i really wanted him to be pissed off. and to be honest, i didn't even care if he dumps me for it. of course if this were to happen, i would be on my knees begging him to rethink it, while trying to distract his attention from the scribbled wall. as i leaned back on the couch, my eyes began to follow the trail of cigarette smoke that drifted toward the exit door. chino's guitar filled the hall’s quietness again. i listened with my eyes closed as he played a melody i had never heard before. i had an idea.

after knocking three times on door 16, i heard the guitar’s fading away as he put it down and slowly walked to the door. i don't think i surprised him, his face didn't show any unexpected feelings, but still a small smile appeared on his lips. it wasn't the kind of smile that always flashed across his face. rather, it's a smile you give when guests or strangers come and you want to seem gentle.
- hello jonathan. how can i help? may it be heard? - i crossed the threshold without saying anything. i hurried to one of the nightstands, on the side of the bed where i slept that night. i opened the drawers, then lifted the blanket.
- what on the earth are you doing ? - he asked, then carefully readjusted the bedclothes.
- i can’t really find my... my cigarette pack. i think i might have left it here. - i shrugged my shoulders.
- i don't quite understand what you're talking about.
- i probably forgot my cigarettes here last time. can't you help me finding them? - chino first looked at me with a strange look, then crossed his two arms with raised brows. he shook his head cautiously.
- that's not why you’re here. - he answered lightly, to which i didn't react but sat down on the bed. as if it didn't surprise him, as if he already knew. i couldn't possibly have come up with a worse excuse.
- do you want a coffee? - he asked as he worked at the kitchen counter. i nodded. i started staring at the walls and the ceiling. it had more mold since the last time i was here.
- why do you avoid me?
- what? i don't avoid you.
- then why didn't you let me drive you? why don't you ever search?
- jonathan, my workplace is not far away. i was late anyway, it wouldn't have depended on that 3 minutes. but it was nice of you to offer it. - he sat down next to me with a coffee in his hand, which i thanked with a nod.
- i'm working on a new song right now. i mean, i got a little inspiration and i’m trying to live it out. we'll see what comes of it. it is also possible that the whole thing will be left unfinished, as so many other songs of mine have been. anyway, if not your cigarette, but you left something else here. - he got up groaning and hurried to the bathroom. after a while he returned with a necklace, then carefully handed it to me. i even forgot about the existence of this jewel. i could have probably left it on the ledge while bathing.
- why didn't you bring it over if you knew i left it here? - chino just shrugged his shoulder.
- so why did you come? - he changed the subject as he helped put the necklace on.
- i feel that maybe i made a bad decision last time. it's hard to forget what happened. i don't want to leave it just as it is. and i feel that we could help each other in many things. - i placed my hand on his thigh, which he immediately looked at. he slowly guided his look up until the color of his eyes met mine. he tucked my messy locks with careful movements, until my ears were visible.
- i see you realized that sometimes you could give in to your will. just don't feel guilty about things not going the way you planned. - i smiled.
- that asshole layne. he was right.
- what? - chino asked, but i just shook my head.