10 | Papa Bruno

Sketches By Me!

Bruno had lived a fifth of his life within the walls of Casita. Being so close to the most fragile parts of Casita, he'd developed a bit of a sixth sense for her tells. Even now, back in his much less sandy and staircase-filled room, he could still hear her. It didn't take much to tell him that something was wrong.

Especially when she was deliberately trying to get his attention.

He'd spent years listening to all of her musical trills and rhythms; he knew the song he was hearing now was fueled with worry. He listened attentively to every note she whispered to him, deciphering them until her message was clear.

"Someone's crying? Who? Where?" It took Bruno no time at all to get ready. He dressed in his robes, slippers on as he stealthily made it out the door. Casita drummed a trail on the floor, quietly leading him to the nursery.

The sinking feeling in his gut worsened as he got closer. If he listened closely, he could hear almost silent sobs as someone hummed. It was a slow tune, careful and quiet... and painful. It hurt to listen to it, completely different from their usually festive and bright hymes.

A voice rich in pain it shouldn't have to bear so young, so faint one would miss it if they weren't listening for it.

"Aletia..." He knew it was her, he could feel it in his heart. Instincts took over, and he was already knocking on the door with a cup of hot chocolate in his hand. How he got it so fast, even he doesn't know. But when he was young, a cup of sweet and warm choco helped him relax.

He knew the recipe by heart, his big sister would be proud.

Casita announced his presence by opening the door slightly, letting him in as Aletia's eyes drifted his way. It was a wonder watching them against the night sky, through the curtain of her wavy hair. She stopped humming, but her tears still fell. Slowly, gently, and quietly.

"Uh..." He squeaked. He was here, now what?

What should he do?

He could see the tear trails carrying the clear droplets down her cheeks. They glowed in the moonlight like falling stars upon her dark skin. She had a grip on her brother, refusing to let him go for even a moment to wipe them away. Even though she was looking at him, there was a distance within those candle-like orbs.

It was like she was seeing something else, someone else, and whatever it was made her even sadder. She was on the brink of another panic attack, and it was in that instance his apparent nervousness made way for another, much more important part of him.

"Oh no no no, please, don't cry. It's okay! You're okay!" He began, at her side in moments. "You're here, in Casita. You're in Encanto, with your brother. You're safe, and will stay safe."

"Safe...?"

"Yes, muñequita, you're safe." He gently wiped her tears away. Now that he was there, he could see the contrast between the two before him.

Emil was content, calm, and happy in dreamland. He was young, and while he'd had a rough beginning, he was now blissful and comfortable. Aletia kept him in her arms, and he cuddled into her warmth as if she was the safest place in the world to him.

But Aletia, who kept her hold soft and light upon him, seemed frazzled, scared. Bruno could tell that she'd been using her hold on Emil to ground her to reality. Maybe it was a nightmare, a memory, or both, but she was desperately trying to convince herself that she was there. She was trying to convince herself that he was there.