TWO

It was a normal afternoon day of the week. I was still contemplating about asking Liam for a job. He’s nice and friendly. Or was it because we relate to each other because we were in the same field, hence, he was friendly to me. Aria can tell that Liam is interested in me because there was this one time when she had Malika checked-up. He asked her about me. And my friend gave him a rundown of my whereabouts. Of why I’m here, where I came from before settling in this small town. Excluding the ‘marriage thing’ of course with Areclus. My friend slash sister is in full force of wanting me to get a boyfriend. After my loveless marriage (Her term by the way) finally ended. I disagree about that though. It was not a loveless marriage in the first place.

For a few seconds, it came to me just one wave of thought— for weeks of being here in Urbilyo I stopped thinking about him. Hindi ko na namalayan na ganun na pala ako katagal dito. At walang kahit anong takot ang nararamdaman ko. No sign of man that sent shivers down my spine like the same I’ve experienced in Guadalupe. The one that screams dangers and I am the target because I am the significant others of their boss enemy.

Thinking that now here in this small town. Zero chance of that happening here.

I should tap my shoulder for such a right decision I made. I should give Aria a credit, she was the one who was adamant. Hayaan ko na nga lang siya ireto ako kay Liam—I’m just thankful for her.

Galing sa kwarto, mahina ang pagkarning ko sa katok. Only when I went outside to scoop my clothes lay on the couch after drying them when I heard a knock. While in the middle of prepping myself I heard a knock. Initially I thought it came from the neighboring house.

Pagbukas ko ng pintuan sa bahay tumambad sa akin si Arcelus. All in his towering build—dangerously hard yet you’re safe. He’s tall enough that my presence is enough to cover me from onlookers outside.

He didn’t look up when I opened the door. It was as if this is not the place he should be at. And that by merely opening the door for him didn’t excite him to whoever person in front of him.

Nakayuko siya—tila bang ilang minuto na siyang naghihintay sa labas at wala man lang nag-atubiling pagbuksan siya ng pintuan. Sa lupa ng kanyang kinatatayuan naka diretso ang mga tingin. Tikom ang mga bibig habang nanatiling ganoon ang kanyang tayo. Sa dalawang magkabilang bulsa naman ang dalawang kamay ang kanang paa niya ay nakatapak sa isang bato.

His head slightly moved to the side, his lips came back to a thin line after a seconds or minute it stayed protruded whilst thinking deeply about something.

Looking so hot-shot bachelor right and so out of place. I heard a click of tongue. I can smell him from where I am right now. I couldn't figure out what he was using. It will forever remain a secret from him. I should ask him about it…but then our relationship like before is long gone and conversing with such a topic somehow feels off-limits.

“Hey.” When he looked up and our eyes met. His way to greet me ‘hey’. I didn't expect anything anyway. “I know that you are surprised about why I am here. But I need to talk to you.” as if this one is an important conversation we must tackle.

Every word that came out from his red lips, his philtrum distracting me fanning my nose down and the smell was so addicting along with his expensive perfume when a slight rush of wind came to play. It was so foreign to me that for once I must experience it. And I feel like I’m being possessed. It screams masculinity and high-maintenance. 

Hindi maipagkakaila ang gulat na namumutawi sa aking mukha. Ang pormal na mukhang galing nakikipagmeeting sa isang investor sa trabaho.  In all black, black rin ang inner na suot nito at ang sapatos. Lumitaw tuloy sa ang aking isipan na dumiretso siya kaagad dito pagkatapos ng trabaho dahil wala siyang choice kundi ang sumunod sa utos ng kanyang ama. I’m very sure it’s because of his father why he came here without prior notice.