A Horrible Beginning

A toddler named Zack is playing with his older sister Martha. They play outside all the time. Martha is six and likes to read and play. Their mother, Rose, watches them play while she cleans. Their father, Jerry, works all day in a shop. When he comes home he plays with the kids, and helps with the chores. One day bandits came and burnt the house down. They killed Rose who was trying to defend Martha. Jerry was already running to the neighbors with Zack to get him to safety. Zack was left on the doorstep with a note that said to protect him. Jerry was killed running back to save Martha.

Years later on Zack's fifteenth birthday he was out on a walk when he saw a group of soldiers coming to his home. The soldiers were with a group of bandits talking peacefully with one another. Zack ran home and told his adoptive parents. They told Zack to run and never look back. Before he did they gave him a sword that was also left worth him. They said the sword had all the answers, then Zack left. The house was burnt down as he ran, hearing the screams of pain from his parents has they were killed. Zack ran to a cave where he was being taught to fight and defend himself. He was very good with a sword, but also bow and arrow. He went to the town a few days later in a hooded cloak.

There were poster looking for him. The posters said that he was a wanted criminal, even though he did nothing wrong. He had little money to spend so he decided to save it and starve. He walked through the town when a man stopped him. The man looked homeless and started talking to Zack.

"Do you have any change to spare?" Asked the man
"Here" said Zack handed the man some money
"Oh! This is more than I need. Are you sure I can have this much?" Asked the man
"I'm sure. You probably need it more then me" replied Zack

The man walked away towards the inn to get some food and a room. Zack now had half of what he used to have but he decided that he was fine. He continued walking to the end of town where he would sneak aboard a wagon and take that to another part of the kingdom. Has he approached he realized that it wasn't going to be as easy as he thought. He walked to a bunch of barrels and hid behind them. Suddenly he heard a voice from behind him.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing? Trying to sneak aboard are you!" Shouted a man
"I can explain sir" said Zack
"Yeah, yeah you weren't trying to sneak aboard you were just waiting for someone. I've heard the story a thousand times and they're always just lies" said the man
Suddenly a girl and a man came running over.
"Brother what are you doing over here?" Asked the girl
"We told you to meet us at the river in the other side of town" said the man
Zack decided to go along with the story.
"Oh! I thought you said to meet over here. Sorry that's my bad" said Zack

The man let Zack go with the girl and the other guy. The girl introduced herself to be Clara and the guy introduced himself to be Fredrick, Clara's father. They then asked Zack what his name was and Zack told them that he would rather not say. They took him to a small house on the outskirts of town. Once there Clara and Fredrick started asking Zack questions.

"Why were you at the wagon station? And trying to sneak aboard. They would've killed you" said Fredrick
"Listen I can't stay here or in this kingdom or either way I will be killed. And why do you guys even care?" Asked Zack
"My brother was killed trying to leave the same way last week. So we decided to stop and save anyone trying to escape" replied Clara
"Why don't you take the hood off" said Fredrick
"I can't" replied Zack
"Why can't you?" Asked Clara
Zack continued to refuse to take the hood off until a guard came knocking on the door. Fredrick let them in and the guard looked at Zack.

"Who's the boy?" Asked the guard
"We don't know, he refuses to tell us his name and to take the hood off" replied Fredrick
"Boy. Take the hood off and tell us your name" demanded the guard
"My name is Zack" he said taking the hood off
Everyone in the room gasped when they saw who was under the hood.
"You are under arrest for treason against the king" said the guard

The guard took Zack to a cell where he was alone in a dark and cold room. Zack sat in the corner where he wasn't very visible. His arms were resting on his knees. With his right arm out of the cloak revealed that he had a scar on it. A guard brought him a plate with some food and a small cup of water. The food wasn't great but it was all he could have, so he delt with it.