Chapter Twenty-Six: Fantasy.

Beth POV

The ivory clouds floated across the crystal blue sky, high above the green meadow I lay in. Long thick blades of soft spring grass surrounded my body, like a cushion, giving me whatever comfort it could. Closing my eyes I listened, the sound of running water erupting from a nearby creek, the soft whistle of a zephyr which warmed my pale skin, and the sound of footsteps, making their way towards me.

"What do you think you're doing?" Came a familiar voice. Opening my eyes, I smiled as Sasuke loomed over me, the sunshine casting a golden silhouette around his body. He was hardly angelic in appearance, what with his black hair and onyx eyes contrasting against his pale white skin. But, to me, he was the epitome of beauty. Maybe it was his perfectly curved jaw, his pointed nose, his eyes which were only slightly angled to give him a brow which always made me think he was in deep thought. He was beautiful, I still thought so, even now.

"Enjoying a moment of sanctuary." I replied, a gentleness to my voice. Sasuke simply stared at me, his eyes like obsidian, taking in the moment.

"This is your sanctuary?" He asked, his tone harsh. "What a cliché."

I couldn't help myself as a laugh escaped between breaths, my lips forming a small smile. "I think that I could use some conventionality in my life right now."

"Eventually you're going to have to wake up. You realise that, don't you?" I knew this. The impending threat of reality was something that wouldn't leave the back of my mind, no matter how hard I tried to delve into the confines of my dreams. It was always there, like a storm cloud looming overhead threatening to rain.

My mood shifted as a tear slid from my eye down my cheek, cool against the warm skin. Sasuke sighed, laying down next to me, his arm outstretched for me to lean into him.

"Why can't this be real?" I asked, my voice thick with tears. "I just want it to go back to how it was before the Chuunin exams. When you hated me. When Kakashi sensei was training me. When I got to see my friends every day. When everything was simple. I just want to go back."

"You and I both know I never hated you. You were the first person I felt myself connect with. Even now, you're the only person I can think about. Life is never simple. We just have to learn how to deal with the life we've been given. How you deal with hardship is what makes you strong or weak." Pushing myself up against Sasukes muscular form, I rested my head on his chest and wrapped an arm around his torso. The arm he had outstretched circled around my shoulders, keeping me close. I felt his breath blow through my hair gently moving the strands. His steady heartbeat matched my own breaths rhythm. He smelt vaguely of smoke, accompanied with the fresh scent of peppermint leaves. I deeply inhaled his scent, making sure I could remember the aroma when he was gone.

"You know... I really thought I had fallen out of love with you." I felt myself start to laugh once again, threads of insanity buried within each chuckle. Sasuke reached his free hand up to my face and started to lightly brush the tips of his fingers against the frame of my jaw, moving down to my chin before tilting my head up to look at him. "And yet here you are. This happened before, you know. During my first few years with Orochimaru. When Kabuto spent hours slicing and dicing at my skin." My eyes were locked onto Sasuke, the threat of further tears looming. "I would find myself drifting off into scenarios where I could speak to you. Those dreams got me through the darkness. But this is different." With that I began to cry once more, streams of tears flooding down my face. "Where Kabuto was methodical and precise, Tobi is ravenous and unrelenting. When Kabuto hurt me, it was a side effect, a consequence. With Tobi, it's the prime objective. And I don't know if you can get me through it this time—"

"Beth—" Sasuke started.

"You have to get me out of here, Sasuke. I can't take it anymore. I don't want to hurt anymore." With each word my voice became more and more desperate. "I feel myself slipping. And soon I won't be able to climb back up."