Chapter 6

The bookstore closed down. There weren't enough customers so business wasn't enough to keep it running. The owner was very apologetic and paid Devlin a bit more than his usual paycheck. Devlin forced himself to smile and bowed before he left.

'Fuck. Fuck! FUCK!' Devlin panicked as he paced down the sidewalk. 'We needed more money, not to lose a source of income! FUCK!' He kicked a nearby trashcan over and crouched down in the alleyway. He ran a hand along his face and groaned. "Life was already hard enough..." 'I'm not going to tell Donald. I don't want him to worry. I'll...I'll figure something out. We will make it through the winter. I just need to find another job,'

He missed having a smartphone and a computer. It would've been so easy to quickly search up any job openings and apply for the positions online. He had taken for granted how things were easier for the newer generations with technology compared to the older ones.

He stayed in that alley for a couple more minutes before recomposing himself. He set off to search for a new job. It had already been difficult just getting a job at the bookstore and as a dishwasher at a restaurant. He was still only physically fourteen years old.

To make matters worse, he also got fired from his job as a dishwasher. He had gotten so used to his daily routine that everything had been time around it. He didn't have a wristwatch and relied on matching the time he got off his shift at the bookstore to a couple minutes before his shift at the restaurant would start. 

Due to no longer working at the bookstore and also no longer having access to the wall clock at the bookstore, he couldn't correctly keep track of when his shift would start. His boss was also an asshole that often ridiculed, mocked, and insulted Devlin at work so he wasted no hesitation to fire him over this minor incident.

Devlin was now even more frustrated and stressed out. He couldn't bring himself to return to the warehouse and ended up just wandering the streets and found himself in Mapo. He somehow stumbled upon a fight between two gangs and one side attacked him, thinking he belonged to the rival gang.

Furious and under immense stress, Devlin decided to help the other gang and beat up the ones that had attacked him. He didn't know who these people were and he didn't care. Right now, he just wanted to take his stress out on these people by beating them up. He also gained new wounds but in the end, the gang Devlin was helping won.

"Thanks for the assist, kid," The leader of the gang, a young man who appeared to be in his final year of high school or was maybe a fresh graduate, said to Devlin. "You're not that bad of a fighter. You managed to hold your own quite well,"

"Where the fuck am I?" Devlin looked around and didn't recognize the area he was in. 

"You're in Mapo, kid," The leader laughed. "Hey, we're always looking for new recruits. My name's Janghyeok Woo. Do you want to join Cheongang?" He handed a business card to him.

"Cheongang?" That name sounded familiar, but Devlin couldn't immediately recall where he had heard that name before. 

"You don't have to accept or reject the offer right away," Janghyeok told him. "But think about it. Oh, and since it looks like you came from across the river, the bridge is that way," He pointed at the direction of Mapo Bridge before leaving with his underlings.

Devlin stared at the card and thought about tossing it away, but he tucked it into his pocket instead. It was some kind of job opportunity and right now he was pretty desperate. He would continue job searching but if he couldn't get hired...joining that Cheongang company would be his last resort.

'That name still sounds so familiar,' Devlin thought as he slowly started heading back to the warehouse. Just his luck, it started raining. 'And I thought things couldn't get any worse,' He was now wet, cold, and hurting. 

XXX

When Devlin arrived at the warehouse, Donald was nowhere to be seen. "Donald?" Devlin tried searching in any possible hiding spots someone Donald's size could fit in. "Donald?" He became even more concerned. "Fuck, where is he!?" 

Devlin sprinted out into the pouring rain and called his brother's name. "Donald! DONALD!" He ran through the streets, desperately calling his brother's name His desperation increased with each passing second.

He found Donald collapsed in an alley. "DONALD!" Devlin rushed over to his side. He saw no visible wounds and he still had his backpack, meaning he wasn't beaten up or robbed. Devlin gently picked Donald up and headed back to the warehouse.

"Dev?" Donald had regained conscious. "You're back?"

"Yeah, I'm back," Devlin quickly helped Donald change out of his wet clothes and into dry ones. "What were you doing outside? What happened?"

"You didn't come home at your usual time," Donald answered. "I-I thought something bad had happened to you s-so I went to look for you," He noticed his big brother's wounds. "Dev, you're hurt!"

"I'm fine," Devlin reassured him. "Let me change into dry clothes too and then let's eat some food and get some rest,"

They ate a small bag of chips that night. Donald cuddled up against Devlin and tightly held onto Devlin's arm. Devlin gently ran a hand through Donald's hair and gently sang him a lullaby. 

"Come little children, come with me. Safe and happy you will be. Away from home, now let us run. With Hypno, you'll have so much fun," Devlin knew that it wasn't exactly a nice lullaby, but Donald didn't know about the Hypno Creepypasta and the way Devlin sang it sounded like an actual children's lullaby instead of a creepy song. 

Plus, he was only singing the first two verses. "Oh, little children, please don't cry. Hypno wouldn't hurt a fly. Be free to frolic, be free to play. Come down in my cave with me to stay," 'I'm glad that Pokémon don't exist in this universe or else I'd have to make sure Donald doesn't go with Hypno or make sure a Drifloon doesn't kidnap him,'

Word Count: 1041

Some Pokémon are seriously creepy.