Chapter Seven: A New Dawn

As the days turned into weeks, Amaya and her troops searched relentlessly all over Katolis.
They left no stone unturned, everywhere they went they asked every townspeople, every family, single parents, orphanages, hospitals, and foster cares. Each time Amaya would show the people in question a detailed sketch drawing of Sierra which Callum had made, but nobody recognized her.
Eventually, they eventually received replies to the letters they sent the neighboring kingdoms, each one with the same answer as everyone else they questioned.
No one had ever seen nor heard of this young blond-haired girl with blue eyes in possession of a Sky Stone. But the ever-resourceful Amaya refused to give up. When all else failed Amaya turned to another possibility. Across the five kingdoms were a nomadic group of people known for traveling from town to town in colorful caravans sharing stories of their respected homelands while selling items they crafted themselves.
Things like beautifully woven carpets, drapes, dresses, shoes, jewelry, and even instruments ike lutes and tambourines, which were often used while performing their ritualistic dances. Often times, they were mistaken for mischievous humans who snatched children in the night to replace with their own children. But that was often dismissed as a marginalized stereotype with no real grounding on truth.
A small family, consisting of a mother, her husband, and two children, one of which was a newborn, stumbled upon some misfortune on their way into town. Their caravan had gotten stuck in a deep mud puddle, which would ruin the materials they had made to sell at the market.
Amaya and her troops discovered them and generously offered their assistance. Amaya took this opportunity to show them Sierra's image and ask whether or not they knew of someone with her likeness and carried a star stone.
"I am deeply sorry, Madam. But I know not of this woman or your stone. Not even our people are as fortunate as the rich to stumble upon such treasures of the earth." The was cradling her infant son with one arm and her other was holding the tiny hand of her six-year-old daughter who clenched her stuffed goat against her colorful dress, adorned with tiny stones.
"Thank you for your cooperation, Miss," Amaya signed. Many nomads were linguistic, and this family understood sign language. "Safe travels."
"And to you and your kin as well." The woman bowed in respect and her eldest child waved while gifting Amaya with an innocent smile.
Amaya waved farewell and the little girl giggled and waved back. Amaya's heart felt heavy as she watched the caravan leave.

It was a tiresome trip back to Katolis, both physically and emotionally. Amaya wasn't sure exactly how she was going to break the news to Sierra. Moments like these made her wish she didn't have such a soft heart.
Once she and her men returned home she
wasn't expecting to find her brother-in-law and eldest nephew in the courtyard... sparing with each other?
Amaya's mouth flew open at the sight. Callum, shy, clumsy, kind-hearted Callum, was holding his own — surprisingly well she might add — against his taller, and far more experienced stepfather who was laughing joyously as his stepson managed to land a lucky strike to his chest. Amaya knew as well as anyone that Callum loathed sword fighting, but when it came to using a bo-staff he was as much of a natural as his mother.
Callum did a funny victory dance when he landed a lucky strike to Harrow's chest. The king kneeled and wailed dramatically while reaching his hand for the heavens as though he were slowly fading from this cruel, cruel world. Amaya laughed at the king's over-the-top acting and Callum spotted her. "Aunt Amaya! You're back."
Harrow stood back up and dusted off his knees before approaching Callum, ruffling his hair. "Good practice, Callum. Why don't you go wash up before dinner? I'll catch up in a bit."
"You got it," Callum said, then turned to speak to his aunt. "I'll tell Sierra you're back." He soon dashed off.
"So, when did this happen?" Amaya signed, pointing to the staff in Harrow's hand.
"Callum decided that sword fighting wasn't his forte, so he upgraded it to a staff," explained Harrow. "Well, a staff for now, but at the rate that he's going, I wouldn't be surprised if he moved up to the next level in a few weeks."
"Was it your idea?" Amaya asked. She knew there had to be some other explanation because there was no way Callum would have come to the idea of changing from a sword to a bo-staff all on his own.
"Actually, Sierra suggested it. Turns out she's got quite the eye for natural talent," Harrow said, which made Amaya roll her eyes.
"Typical." Amaya smirked at him mischievously. "Show a boy a pretty face and they'll be motivated to try just about anything. Sounds like somebody else I know."
Harrow laughed. "Speaking of which, how did the search go?" Amaya dropped her shoulders and gently shook her head. "Don't worry, it's only been a month. I'm sure Lady Luck will smile upon us next time. Come on, we'll talk it over lunch."
"You read my mind," Amaya signed. "Or rather, my stomach."