Chapter Ten: Finding Answers

Sierra woke up on the forest floor with her heart palpitating in her chest. It wasn't a dream — she had run away from home with her brothers and a Moonshadow elf. Not just any elf, an assassin who'd broken into the castle to murder her little brother.
She saw Callum staring thoughtfully at Rayla, who was sitting on the same rock from last night, sharpening her blades. Have she been awake for the whole night?
She suddenly heard a growling sound nearby. Sierra instinctively glanced at Bait, raising an eyebrow at him.
"Is your stomachs trying to impersonate your grumpy glow friend?" Rayla asked, clearly thinking along the same lines as she is.
At that, Bait glared at the elven girl and grumbled.
"We haven't eaten for a long time," admitted Callum sheepishly.
"Yeah — I'm feeling a few hunger pangs myself," Rayla said. "Why don't I go try to find us some food?"
"That's really nice of you," said Callum. "I'm happy to help." He started to get up, but Rayla waved him off.
"You'll be just as much help staying out of the way for now," Rayla said. "Besides, it's traditional for mages to steer clear of anything dangerous, such as gathering fruits and berries. I'll be back!" Rayla soon scampered off.
Callum shrugged and Sierra gave him a confused look, though her eyes gleamed in slight amusement. "Mage?"
He rolled his eyes fondly and slowly removed a spherical object from a covert pocket in his jacket. It was a clear glass ball filled with swirling dark blue air, miniature clouds, and tiny flickers of lightning. Sierra had never seen anything like it, but she recognizes it. It's Claudia's Sky primal ball, or it was. "How did...?"
"I may or may not have snatched it from Claudia after we've found the egg in Viren's secret lab," explained Callum as he continued drawing in his notebook.
"I'm back." The two of them both turned to see Rayla carrying fruits and berries.
Sierra looked away from her two companions and ignoring their conversation with each other, absentmindedly eating the moonberries that Rayla had given her.
She thought, if she said it enough times, then it would somehow magically become her real name. She wondered what her real name would sound like. Did it start with an S as well or a different letter? More questions flooded her mind.
But Sierra pushed those painful questions back with thoughts of the princes. They swore that, no matter what, they would not stop being her friends. She couldn't remember what it felt like to have friends. If it felt anything like this then, once again, there was a silver lining to her amnesia. She was experiencing friendship for the first time all over again, and if she never had before, then even better. Her first real friends.
She hoped they couldn't come to regret it later on.
"What do you think, Sierra?" She snapped out of her thoughts and glanced at her companions. "Do you think we should go to the Banther Lodge?"
Sierra remembered the king's plan before they learned about the egg's living existence. "I'm not sure that's a good idea. There's a chance we might meet up with General Amaya and her legion. She might hold a grudge regarding elves in general, especially in her line of duty. But I'll think she understand at some point."
Callum facepalmed. "Oh, right. Sorry Rayla, I've forgot about that."
"It's okay." Rayla gave them an awkward smile and looked at them warmly. "But maybe we should help you find some answers."
"It may be a long shot," said Callum. "But what if we went back to the place where my aunt found you?"
"Out in the woods?" Sierra gazed at him in confusion.
"Yeah." Callum smiled at her uncertainty. "I mean, it was the last place you were before losing your memory, right? Maybe if you went back there it could trigger something. Jog your memory somehow."
Sierra thought about Callum's suggestion. It was a long shot, Sierra would admit that much, but if shooting arrows was enough to awaken her memories then maybe the same could happen if she went back there. It wouldn't hurt to try especially after what just happened. She couldn't stay an amnesiac forever.
When Sierra didn't answer right away, Callum started to wish he hadn't opened his big mouth. "It's stupid, I know."
"No. No, I think you may be onto something. I mean, it wouldn't hurt to try, and I'm willing to try anything." Sierra gave them a hopeful smile.
"It's in a small clearing through the Dawn's Pass," said Callum. "That's where they found you."
"How did you figure that out?" Sierra asked him curiously.
"I... have my ways," replied Callum mysteriously.
"You've eavesdrop on the guards' conversation again, didn't you?" Sierra said with an amused look on her face while she crossed her arms. She sounded more impressed and amused than suspicious.
"Lets get going then." Rayla watched as Callum woke up Ezran and the two brothers joined them. "Just no more detours, all right?"