Celestial Beauty

Vanthi sat down on the swing next to the princess. Just as she opened her mouth to speak again, they heard a loud voice downstairs. "I bear important messages for the Ilaiya Piratti! Let me through! These messages are very important and are to be delivered into the princess's own hands."

Kundavai and Vanathi looked at each other in surprise. They had just received an announcement yesterday of the Northern Chozha Forces' resounding victory against the Kalingas as they finished off their war campaign with a flourish. Could something have gone wrong? Just as they were thinking about all this, a messenger entered the room.

After bowing to Kundavai, he said, "Devi, a messenger has arrived. He refuses to tell us anything of his master or his mission, except that he is to deliver the message to you, and you only."

"Did he at least inform you of his name?"

"Yes, Devi. He says that his name is Thirumalai."

Kundavai's face lit up. Thirumalai, also known as Azhwarkaddiyan Nambi, was a spy and servant of the chief minister, Aniruddha Brahmarayar. She had last seen him when he informed her that he was going to the Nicobar Islands, on the command of the chief minister, to relay messages, almost a month ago. She had thought that it was a long term mission and he would stay there for a few more months.

"Let him enter," said Kundavai. The guard immediately went downstairs to convey her order. A minute later, a short, stout man with a long and sturdy stick entered the room. With his hair tied in a knot on the side of his head, and saffron gracing his forehead. There could be no doubt about the fact that he was a Veera Vaishnavite.

Thirumalai entered the room and bowed respectfully before the princesses. Kundavai asked, "Thirumalai, how are you? I thought you would be gone for a long time, and yet here you are, back in a month."

"Devi, I am very well indeed, but for the journey that I have had to suffer through to reach the islands and return. Govinda, my heart trembles to even think about those nights in the dark seas, huge waves, tall as palm trees, threatening to smash the boat into pieces. I managed to get through the storm courtesy of the captain of the vessel, not that he is very knowledgeable in matters of devotion, for he is a Saivite. So, we went to his cabin, and..."

"And, you debated with him until he ran away from the cabin, fearing his death. That poor man. Anyways, why did you return so early Thirumalai?"

"On the chief minister's orders, Devi." Looking around him conspicuously, he dropped his voice to a whisper, "He told me that he had received reports that Amara Bujaka Nedunchezhiyan and the Pandiya Aabathuthavigal had come out of hiding, and had been spotted in the Chera capital of Mahodayapuram."

Kundavai's face dropped. Her eyebrows scrunched up, as her expression turned into one of alarm and shock. She asked, "Does the prime minister have any ideas as to what is happening?"

"Well, he has received a lot of information from his spies about all that is occurring. He wanted me to tell you that he will be visiting you tomorrow."

"Very well. I suppose it will be best to hear the news from the man himself. Anyway, is there any news about the prince?" Kundavai tried her best to disguise it, but she also wanted to receive some news about Vanthiyathevan.

Nambi smiled. He had been patiently waiting for this question, knowing that it would be asked, sooner or later.

He replied, "Devi, since they set sail a couple of months ago, not much has been heard from them. The captain of some ships with whom I had spoken said that the fleet should reach the island this week. One of the ships from the fleet had returned to the port for some repairs after a battle with some Arabian pirates. He told me that there had been very few casualties in the battles with the Arabian ships thanks to the prince and the fleet commander."

"I see. So, he did not give you any message for me?"

Nambi pretended to think. "Ah, now I remember. He did give me a couple of messages. One of them was from the prince..."

"Well, where are they?" Kundavai gave up on trying to contain her eagerness.

"Forgive me, Devi, but the guards at your gate were really not the most friendly. First, they did not recognise me, and then when you yourself granted me entrance, they refused to let me pass without confiscating the olais, saying that they were not for you, and therefore, I was not to carry them inside."

"So the olais were not for me?" Kundavai asked, with a disappointed expression.

"Devi, it is true that the olai from the prince was not written to you, but the second olai was indeed addressed to you and I cannot for the life of me understand why the guards confiscated that one as well."

"Is that so? Summon the guards immediately." said Kundavai angrily.

"Devi, I have to leave now. I have some work that cannot go unfinished. Moreover, I have to leave again on another journey."

"Journey? Where to?"

"Devi, I hope you understand my being unable to divulge details at the moment. I believe the Prime Minister will be happy to clarify any doubts of yours."

"Of course. Have a safe journey, and send the guards in on your way out, will you?"

"Certainly, Devi. I will take your leave now."

Nambi left the courtyard, walking away calmly with his stout stick in hand. Soon, they heard loud voices from the street again, but this time, they could not decipher what was going on. Multiple voices were heard, as some sort of an argument seemed to be occurring downstairs.

Soon the voices became louder, and the princesses managed to understand what the argument was about.

"Hey! Give me that olai right now! I need to deliver it." Nambi seemed to be yelling.

"You? You can go to Kanchi and deliver an olai to Sundara Chozhar himself? No. We will arrange for somebody trustworthy to deliver this. Get out of my sight now." replied the voice of what seemed to be one of the guards.

After some time, the argument showed no signs of stopping. Kundavai and Vanathi had been sitting and listening to it for some time, hoping that it would be resolved quickly and not require their interference, but the argument only seemed to be getting louder with time.

Finally, Kundavai stood up. "These people have no idea as to the manners they need to have. Arguing in front of the palace!", she said to Vanathi, and left the room to sort out the argument, with Vanathi in tow.

Well, there you go! Hope you liked it. Thanks for 200 reads! Means a lot to me.  If you like this book, please vote, share and drop some comments. Nandi!